Márcia Francisco
Márcia Francisco
Portugal
Local time: 13:31
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 4, 2022

Hi,

I am doing a translation on vehicles (EN-PT) and I am just trying to understand the meaning of the "R" in "L × W × H × R". Does anyone know?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2022-03-04 16:51 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:31
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Radius Mar 4, 2022

but which one? clearance? turn?

expressisverbis

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:31
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Wrong section Mar 4, 2022

Please post your question again in the KudoZ area (Terminology > Ask question).

Thank you.

Edited to add that I've just noticed you are not new to the site, having already asked just shy of 400 questions. So, by now you should know how ProZ works.
Oh, and BTW, you've also got 16 questions that are still open. Would you mind closing them? Thanks.

[Edited at 2022-03-04 17:54 GMT]

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Matthias Brombach
Philip Lees
philgoddard
Daryo
ahartje

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Márcia, Mar 4, 2022

You should have posted your question in Kudoz as Barbara said, but here it goes:

"comprimento x largura x altura x raio (c x l x a x r)"

I agree with Sergei.

PS: If I am breaking the rules by answering here, please delete my post. Thanks.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Barbara, Mar 4, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Thank you.

Edited to add that I've just noticed you are not new to the site, having already asked just shy of 400 questions. So, by now you should know how ProZ works.
Oh, and BTW, you've also got 16 questions that are still open. Would you mind closing them? Thanks.

I believe that if you are registered but not a paying member, you can ask five (5) questions per day, and Márcia has reached that limit today.
https://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help/kudoz/asking.html#is_there_a_limit_on_the_number_of_questions_that_i_can_ask_
Anyway, I agree we must always close our questions, by selecting the best answer. If we don't have any, we can always go to the dicussion board and tell others how we have translated the term/expression, and if possible indicating sources/references.
That's my motto.

Márcia Francisco
Angie Garbarino
Barbara Carrara
Tina Vonhof (X)
Philip Lees
philgoddard
ahartje

Márcia Francisco
Márcia Francisco
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
correct, Mar 4, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Thank you.

I believe that if you are registered but not a paying member, you can ask five (5) questions per day, and Márcia has reached that limit today.
https://www.proz.com/faq/terminology_term_help/kudoz/asking.html#is_there_a_limit_on_the_number_of_questions_that_i_can_ask_
Anyway, I agree we must always close our questions, by selecting the best answer. If we don't have any, we can always go to the dicussion board and tell others how we have translated the term/expression, and if possible indicating sources/references.
That's my motto.

Yes, I can ask 20 questions per week (5 per day). I have 11 open from the last few days that I will close after 24 hours and/or when I have decided which is the best answer.
Muito obrigada pela tua resposta e também pela ajuda - nesta publicação e em todas as outras do KudoZ. Fico muito agradecida mesmo, do fundo do coração. Obrigada.

[Edited at 2022-03-04 18:27 GMT]

expressisverbis

Márcia Francisco
Márcia Francisco
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Barbara, Mar 4, 2022

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Thank you.

I honestly don't see the need to be so "rude". Like, is there something wrong about having asked 400 "shy" questions if I am trying to do my best for my clients or what...?
I know I still have 16 questions open. I have asked 11 in the last three days - so I have to wait to decide which one is the best answer as well 24 hours after each question. Therefore, they will be closed when the time is due. "Thanks".
I appreciate your advice on posting this question in another area since you are right in that one.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Márcia, Mar 4, 2022

Márcia Filipa wrote:

Yes, I can ask 20 questions per week (5 per day). I have 11 open from the last few days that I will close after 24 hours and/or when I have decided which is the best answer.
Muito obrigada pela tua resposta e também pela ajuda - nesta publicação e em todas as outras do KudoZ. Fico muito agradecida mesmo, do fundo do coração. Obrigada.

[Edited at 2022-03-04 18:27 GMT]

You're welcome, and it's my pleasure. Automotive industry is one of my main expertise fields, so every time I see a Kudoz question I try to help.
As for the questions that may still open, I believe Barbara doesn't know that the Portuguese community has more Portuguese Brazilian than European Portuguese members, so it's is perfectly acceptable that we can take a bit longer to close the questions and select the answer, just to find a better and suitable one in our own variant.
I understand Barbara, because it's very annoying and extremely rude to see members who keep asking questions and don't close them not even with a "thank you" - it's not the case here with your questions, Márcia, I know it well, and I can assure you Barbara is not rude at all.
A good weekend for everyone

[Edited at 2022-03-04 19:02 GMT]

Márcia Francisco

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Barbarude Mar 4, 2022

Márcia Filipa wrote:
I honestly don't see the need to be so "rude". Like, is there something wrong about having asked 400 "shy" questions if I am trying to do my best for my clients or what...?
I know I still have 16 questions open. I have asked 11 in the last three days - so I have to wait to decide which one is the best answer as well 24 hours after each question. Therefore, they will be closed when the time is due. "Thanks".

Thanks for the 'rude' comment. Straightforward is more like it, but 'rude' is fine with me.

Anyway, I know there's a limit to the number of questions registered and paying members are allowed to post on a daily basis. The fact remains, Márcia, that you have asked nearly 400 questions as of today, some of which have been open since 2020-21 (and before you point that out, you can close questions that have not received any answers), which is well past the answer-by date, as per site rules.

expressisverbis wrote:
...it's very annoying and extremely rude to see members who keep asking questions and don't close them not even with a "thank you" - it's not the case here with your questions, Márcia, I know it well...

Thanks, Exy (Melvyn used to call you that, remember?), that's exactly how I feel, and I've pointed that out before, in this space and elsewhere on the site. There are some serial askers - I am not referring to you, Márcia, so keep your hair on - for whom ProZ is just like Google Translate, whereby interaction is not necessarily required. I post a question, somebody out there will get me my answer(s). Why should I bother with anything as mundane as closing questions, or - god forbid - thanking answerers for their timely professional help?
So, Márcia, you can call me rude as many times as you like, if that helps you follow the rules and close your questions. So, will you?
Thank you.

[Edited at 2022-03-05 05:43 GMT]

expressisverbis
philgoddard
Daryo
ahartje
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Daniela Zambrini

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
R = Rise? Mar 5, 2022

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Reward not possible Mar 5, 2022

Márcia,

Different sections of ProZ.com are designed in different ways for some very good reasons. For instance, in the fora it is not possible to award points, and thus to help the colleague who provided the best answer get higher in the directory.

By using the fora instead of KudoZ for the purpose of getting term help, you inflict underserved punishment on colleagues who want to help.

I agree that allowing you to ask more questions - because you really ne
... See more
Márcia,

Different sections of ProZ.com are designed in different ways for some very good reasons. For instance, in the fora it is not possible to award points, and thus to help the colleague who provided the best answer get higher in the directory.

By using the fora instead of KudoZ for the purpose of getting term help, you inflict underserved punishment on colleagues who want to help.

I agree that allowing you to ask more questions - because you really need it - will probably not harm anyone. Possibly, the KudoZ asking feature was abused in the past, and fellow translators requested measures.

I don't know, perhaps it should be possible to donate question rights. I would gladly donate you some of my question rights, if technically feasible.

Also, please don't forget that breaking the rules can have consequences: like having your right to ask questions suspended.

Radius seems unlikely, unless the car we are talking about has a certain shape. There are such cars, actually, but then, what do we make of length, or width?
Collapse

Márcia Francisco

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
R = rudeness Mar 5, 2022

Jokes apart, why blame the users when the system allows it? Just do not allow to post more questions if some questions are still open... yes, it's that simple...

Márcia Francisco
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Daryo

Márcia Francisco
Márcia Francisco
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mihai, Mar 5, 2022

Mihai Badea wrote:

Márcia,

I agree that allowing you to ask more questions - because you really need it - will probably not harm anyone. Possibly, the KudoZ asking feature was abused in the past, and fellow translators requested measures.

I don't know, perhaps it should be possible to donate question rights. I would gladly donate you some of my question rights, if technically feasible.

Also, please don't forget that breaking the rules can have consequences: like having your right to ask questions suspended.

Radius seems unlikely, unless the car we are talking about has a certain shape. There are such cars, actually, but then, what do we make of length, or width?

Thank you for your response.
You are absolutely right.
It was not a matter of question limit, because I could have waited for another day, I had simply seen cases like this before, of using the forum to ask monolingual questions. However, I now know that this is probably not the case.
I appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

Márcia Francisco
Márcia Francisco
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Giovanni, Mar 5, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Jokes apart, why blame the users when the system allows it? Just do not allow to post more questions if some questions are still open... yes, it's that simple...

They do not allow you to ask more questions if you have 10 open!
Great joke tho >.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
How disappointing... Mar 6, 2022

Márcia Filipa wrote:
They do not allow you to ask more questions if you have 10 open!
Great joke tho >.<

It ruined my joke!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

L × W × H × R

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »