Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:20
English to Russian
+ ...
No Jan 12, 2023

Wouldn't make sense for individual freelancers in Russia. Things can be easily handled on your own. If you start a company with employees, this could be useful.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:20
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
No Jan 12, 2023

I'd have no problem if it was just math, but accounting is so much more than that. You have to know which rules to apply and how (and they change all the time), which status works best for you, prepare and file reports, communicate with authorities etc.
It takes me by far less time and effort to earn what I pay my accountant than trying to do it myself and taking the risk of not doing it properly, so it's a simple business decision.

My accountant has also scheduled a Zoom cal
... See more
I'd have no problem if it was just math, but accounting is so much more than that. You have to know which rules to apply and how (and they change all the time), which status works best for you, prepare and file reports, communicate with authorities etc.
It takes me by far less time and effort to earn what I pay my accountant than trying to do it myself and taking the risk of not doing it properly, so it's a simple business decision.

My accountant has also scheduled a Zoom call today to inform all her clients what's new regarding taxes in 2023 and I am very much looking forward to it.
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:20
German to English
+ ...
Used to Jan 12, 2023

I used to but once I made two mistakes in filing forms and got fined, even though it was me who informed the tax office of my mistakes. I now just do the invoices, collect receipts and bills and send them all off to my accountant. They also handle my annual tax declaration.

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:20
Member (2018)
English to Russian
No Jan 12, 2023

In most countries you have an accountant when you run a business. But in Russia accountants have you...

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Yes Jan 12, 2023

I do my own accounts. My husband showed me how as he does the accounts for his brother's firm and he's in contact with an accountant to submit the firm's tax forms. Entrepreneurs have a lot of help when starting out and one can make an appointment to learn the ropes and the system. I hate administrative work but hiring an accountant in my case is not worth it as he would be too costly for me since I do not earn so much that he can save me tax or claim VAT.

Tom in London

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I hate spending time on (digital) paperwork Jan 12, 2023

At the end of every month I send my daughter an Excel file with the information about all the work I've done that month, and she prepares my invoices for me. I know she would do it free of charge, but I pay her a certain amount for every €1,000 I invoice.

Once my daughter has sent me the invoices (in both PDF and Excel formats) I send them to my clients. I also have an email in the drafts tray for my accountant, to whom I send copies of the invoices, along with anything else I nee
... See more
At the end of every month I send my daughter an Excel file with the information about all the work I've done that month, and she prepares my invoices for me. I know she would do it free of charge, but I pay her a certain amount for every €1,000 I invoice.

Once my daughter has sent me the invoices (in both PDF and Excel formats) I send them to my clients. I also have an email in the drafts tray for my accountant, to whom I send copies of the invoices, along with anything else I need to include for my three-monthly tax/VAT payments. I send an email to my accountant at least once every quarter.

I've been self-employed since 1985 but I still hate anything related to accounting.
Collapse

Maria Silvestri
Maria Silvestri  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Bookkeeping and accounting aren't the same thing Jan 12, 2023

I do my own bookkeeping then hand everything off to my accountant every year. Makes life easier!

Maurizio Varriale
Christopher Schröder

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Accountant Jan 13, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ana Vozone wrote:
I have an accountant...

But does your accountant actually DO your accounting, or does he simply check your accounting (or does he simply convert your accounting into a format that makes it easier to submit tax returns)?

I dump all of my invoices, etc. on my accountants desk and they sort everything out, including dealing with the tax office. Costs me about €3k / year, but seeing as there are many loopholes, etc. that can be legally used, he is worth every penny.

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Disagree Jan 16, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

A freelance translator's accounts will never be complex enough to justify a bookkeeper.

Money in. Money out. Simples.

Tax returns can be another story, of course.

I ran my business as a limited company for 27 years and had to have an accountant sign off the company accounts by law. He also did payroll and filed tax returns. But I always did the lion's share of the work myself, and he never saved more tax than I paid him in fees. Maybe because I refused to go along with some of his more creative ideas, like paying me only dividends or paying my wife for work she didn't do.

I have no problem paying my fair share of tax. I hate it when people try to avoid tax.

Now I no longer have any employees I have gone self-employed and plan to do everything myself. Yes, there is a theoretical opportunity cost, but never in 30 years have I not had any gaps between translation jobs. I also enjoy working with numbers.

I have never had the happy-go-lucky (amateurish?) mentality of people who just put all the bills in an envelope and send it off to an accountant at the end of the year. I like to have a clear record of what my little business is doing.

Money in / out okay, but if you have an office, company car, all other things that go along with business, then I was more than happy to have everything sorted out by my accountant.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Company car?! Jan 16, 2023

Michael Harris wrote:
Money in / out okay, but if you have an office, company car, all other things that go along with business, then I was more than happy to have everything sorted out by my accountant.

Was it a Rolls, Michael?😂

Think you’d need a very creative accountant to justify having a company car for a translator…

Michael Harris
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No Jan 16, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:

Was it a Rolls, Michael?😂

Think you’d need a very creative accountant to justify having a company car for a translator…

A BMW X3, but I do not know what you have to do tax-wise, and there is the 1% rule. I messed around with doing my own tax things when I started out and it went a bit wrong which is why I resorted to this. You do not have to be creative, just justify it and having customers all over the place within driving distance.
Married as well, which means here in D my wifes wages are put on top of mine causing more tax that I have to pay, etc.
It was too much hassle for me.

[Edited at 2023-01-16 16:57 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's often a matter of time Jan 16, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

I have never had the happy-go-lucky (amateurish?) mentality of people who just put all the bills in an envelope and send it off to an accountant at the end of the year. I like to have a clear record of what my little business is doing.

I have never had the 'happy-go-lucky' mentality of people who just put the bills in an envelope. When I had my first business, I used to do my paper-based bookkeeping, I used to take the books along to my accountant's office and she used to fill in the forms.

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but if you make a mistake with your accounting in Spain or forget to submit a form, the fines can be terribly expensive.

When I started my first business, my daughters were 11 months and 3 years old and I was very busy. I'm now a grandmother and my husband is retired, who's decided that he doesn't want to go anywhere alone. What with one thing and another, I'm busier now than 35 years ago!

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you do your own accounting?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »