Not practiced conference interpreting since my MA! Any tips on getting back into it?!
Thread poster: Naomi Porter
Naomi Porter
Naomi Porter
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:14
Member (2021)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2022

When I finished my MA, I told myself I'd keep up my conference interpreting practice but life got in the way! Any tips on how to start practicing again after such a long time? I've been working as a public service interpreter but of course that's quite different to conference interpreting. And how do you know when to start taking on work?! Do some agencies give you a test before accepting you onto their books to see if you're up to standard? Thanks in advance!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:14
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No tests. Jan 7, 2022

I am not sure how they would do a test for conference interpreting. They would need to simulate the whole setting which is impossible.

What conference interpreting training did you have at school? SI technology, note taking, subject management? It’s not clear from your post whether you have ever tried conference interpreting before. And yes, it’s completely different to public service interpreting.

You can practice on YouTube, find a conference or speech/presentatio
... See more
I am not sure how they would do a test for conference interpreting. They would need to simulate the whole setting which is impossible.

What conference interpreting training did you have at school? SI technology, note taking, subject management? It’s not clear from your post whether you have ever tried conference interpreting before. And yes, it’s completely different to public service interpreting.

You can practice on YouTube, find a conference or speech/presentation then see how much you can interpret without interruption (15 min slot), check your accuracy rate, then keep revising. Your slot will usually be 15-20 minutes, then your partner will take over for the next 15-20 mins but you need to actively listen to what’s going on during that time or be ready to jump in at any time.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Magdalena Legerska Brighetti

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Find a YouTube video on your topic Jan 8, 2022

Turn it on and talk over it. Probably work towards challenging yourself with 1.25x speed, maybe even 1.5x.

Naomi Porter wrote:

When I finished my MA, I told myself I'd keep up my conference interpreting practice but life got in the way! Any tips on how to start practicing again after such a long time? I've been working as a public service interpreter but of course that's quite different to conference interpreting. And how do you know when to start taking on work?! Do some agencies give you a test before accepting you onto their books to see if you're up to standard? Thanks in advance!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:14
French to English
Daily exercise Jan 8, 2022

Radio, online conferences and so on, just find one and start talking!
I reckon that t's good practice to do it on a regular basis, a bit like scales and arpeggios when learning a musical instrument.
Switch off the subtitles and then go back and see what you think of your production compared to whatever the online proposition was.

Michelle Meng
Michelle Meng
Australia
Local time: 19:14
Re: Not practiced conference interpreting since my MA, any tips on getting back into it? Mar 18, 2022

My suggestion would be to follow current news and events closely, take an active interest in the world and read widely to build up your general knowledge. In your free time, learn more about technology, politics, society, law and economics, learn about important ideas and developments in different fields would help.

You can work to improve your working languages and make every effort to keep your skill up-to-date through media or Internet, for example, you can practice on YouTube us
... See more
My suggestion would be to follow current news and events closely, take an active interest in the world and read widely to build up your general knowledge. In your free time, learn more about technology, politics, society, law and economics, learn about important ideas and developments in different fields would help.

You can work to improve your working languages and make every effort to keep your skill up-to-date through media or Internet, for example, you can practice on YouTube using conference, speech, presentation videos. Record your interpretation so you can evaluate your own performance afterwards. Find a suitable piece of text and practice sight translation is also a good idea.

Latest versions of appropriate technical dictionaries are also good investment, make use of these reference books will definitely help you to improve and better prepared when return to the industry.
Collapse

Michael Le Cruguel

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
http://www.translorial.com/reference/a-brief-history-of-interpretation-and-translation/?fbclid=IwAR2 Mar 20, 2022

http://www.translorial.com/reference/a-brief-history-of-interpretation-and-translation/?fbclid=IwAR26Fw5JJ-83m0BBYJk4Cc_Unik0PFNf4mjsaTsaG_MM7f6VdTh04sL-cnc

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The OP got an MA Mar 20, 2022

You are supposed to know better than most of us. Isn't that right?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not practiced conference interpreting since my MA! Any tips on getting back into it?!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »