Making the most of student discounts while I can
Thread poster: Clare Rubin
Clare Rubin
Clare Rubin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:57
Spanish to English
Oct 15, 2017

I am officially a student again (studying for the DPSI) and hopefully preparing for a long career in interpreting and most likely some translation. Are there any resources or discounts I can make the most of now, that I should know about (software, memberships etc)? I have joined IoL as an IoLET Affiliate but notice there are things like Amazon Student Prime where I could get discounts on books etc.

I was wondering about investing in some translation software for example. Worked a
... See more
I am officially a student again (studying for the DPSI) and hopefully preparing for a long career in interpreting and most likely some translation. Are there any resources or discounts I can make the most of now, that I should know about (software, memberships etc)? I have joined IoL as an IoLET Affiliate but notice there are things like Amazon Student Prime where I could get discounts on books etc.

I was wondering about investing in some translation software for example. Worked a little with the free version of Wordfast in the past, but like I said, I'd like to make the most of my current status.

Thank you.
Collapse

Connected Tr (X)
Connected Tr (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:57
Chinese to English
+ ...
SDL do discounts Oct 16, 2017

If you were looking to do a lot of translation work, SDL do student discounts on Trados, although if you're intending to focus on interpreting and only do a little translation then Trados might be overkill.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making the most of student discounts while I can

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »