http://tinyurl.com/64fgz8y

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:07
English to French
+ ...
The usual Feb 22, 2011

This is the usual sort of article about machine translation. For decades, the gist of them has been "Until now, machine translation was pretty bad, but really-soon-now it will be perfectly fine."
They are never written by anyone close to having any knowledge of translation, and they all contain some quotes from researchers (i.e., those who desperately need funding to keep their day job), and the occasional words from translation industry names.

Same old, same old.

... See more
This is the usual sort of article about machine translation. For decades, the gist of them has been "Until now, machine translation was pretty bad, but really-soon-now it will be perfectly fine."
They are never written by anyone close to having any knowledge of translation, and they all contain some quotes from researchers (i.e., those who desperately need funding to keep their day job), and the occasional words from translation industry names.

Same old, same old.

JL

[Edited at 2011-02-22 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:07
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Interesting article Feb 22, 2011

Thank you, Gary.

GaryG
GaryG  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're welcome Vitals... Feb 22, 2011

..but I think our jobs are still safe for now

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Washington Post article on machine translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »