Koreas: Joint dictionary aims to bridge cultural divide

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Koreas: Joint dictionary aims to bridge cultural divide".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Júio César Pereira da Silva
Júio César Pereira da Silva
Japão
Local time: 21:45
japonês para português
+ ...
Interesting but... Feb 18, 2014

Languages evolve for several reasons and even if a joint dictionary is made people will keep on talking differently. For instance,
I´m a speaker of Brazilian Portuguese and understand what speakers of European Portuguese say because of contact I had with people from Portugal but that won´t change the way I speak.Standardization is an useful thing(for the written language) if the varieties of the language aren´t mutually intelligible but I don´t know if that´s the case with Korean.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:45
Membro (2006)
inglês para russo
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What about the alphabet? Feb 19, 2014

AFAIK, even the alphabetization order is different in the two Koreas. How will the cope with it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Koreas: Joint dictionary aims to bridge cultural divide

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »