Google Translate introduces new input tools

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Google Translate introduces new input tools".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonésia
Local time: 00:01
inglês para indonésio
+ ...
It's a happy news Feb 10, 2013

Like it or not, Google Translate helps many people around the world in finding translations of words. Therefore, if it has new input tools, it will help many more people, although more translators will possibly regard it a threat, too.

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Holanda
Local time: 19:01
Membro (2012)
alemão para holandês
+ ...
Not reliable Feb 10, 2013

I don´t think one should rely on Google Translate. Every user can give input...wrong input as well!

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonésia
Local time: 00:01
inglês para indonésio
+ ...
Yes, not reliable. Feb 10, 2013

I admit that GT is not reliable, but it sometimes helps. You should check the translations it provides.

[Edited at 2013-02-10 14:43 GMT]

Tom Pesch
Tom Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlândia
Local time: 20:01
inglês para finlandês
not a threat Feb 10, 2013

Google Translator is not a threat to any professional translator. People use it more like an online dictionary than a translation service. I actually don't even consider it a reliable dictionary.

[Edited at 2013-02-10 16:18 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Espanha
Local time: 19:01
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
What, me worry? Feb 10, 2013

Tom Pesch wrote:

Google Translator is not a threat to any professional translator. People use it more like an online dictionary than a translation service. I actually don't even consider it a reliable dictionary.

[Edited at 2013-02-10 16:18 GMT]

I agree. Nevertheless, the tool sounds interesting, as it seems will be quicker to write things in Russian cyrillic without changing keyboards and it will be handy for Chinese and similar languages too.

[Edited at 2013-02-10 18:34 GMT]

kok seng loh
kok seng loh
Local time: 01:01
chinês para inglês
+ ...
Google translator Feb 11, 2013

No, I do not even consider Google translator a translator. Presently, it is turning out crap. Maybe in the future it will be improved but for now, if you use it for your translation jobs, there will be much to grieve and woe betide the translator.

I pasted Chinese stuff into it and make it translate into English. So far, it is crappy although you can still glean some ideas about the Chinese stuff and I must warn that sometimes even these ideas are wrong because the translation is mi
... See more
No, I do not even consider Google translator a translator. Presently, it is turning out crap. Maybe in the future it will be improved but for now, if you use it for your translation jobs, there will be much to grieve and woe betide the translator.

I pasted Chinese stuff into it and make it translate into English. So far, it is crappy although you can still glean some ideas about the Chinese stuff and I must warn that sometimes even these ideas are wrong because the translation is misleading or even wrong.
Collapse

Tomoyuki Kono
Tomoyuki Kono  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 18:01
Membro (2010)
inglês para japonês
+ ...
Google translator Feb 11, 2013

kok seng loh wrote:

I don't think anyone is advocating/adopting Google Translate for professional translation jobs. Warning/criticising people of doing so (as it happens so often here that it's now turned into a cliché) when no one actually seems to be doing it is something of a red herring. The warning is appropriate for someone who is using GT to get a Sanskrit translation of their favourite proverb so that they can have it tattooed. In that case the mistake is for life!

For personal use, I think GT has many advantages. It has allowed me to get a gist of what my Brazilian friend was saying on Facebook; on another occasion it allowed me to order an academic book published in Poland from a Polish bookshop. On both occasions, I would not have bothered had it not been for GT.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 13:01
inglês
+ ...
Input methods Feb 12, 2013

Since the article really talks only about input methods, whether Google Translate is reliable or not isn’t really relevant.

That said, I just checked it out and if I tried to input Chinese, I am offered four input methods (or just two, depending on how you count):
1. three varieties of pinyin, and
2. Wubi

That means people who don’t speak Mandarin and have never had any training in Wubi (which is btw usable only for simplified Chinese) is still left in the col
... See more
Since the article really talks only about input methods, whether Google Translate is reliable or not isn’t really relevant.

That said, I just checked it out and if I tried to input Chinese, I am offered four input methods (or just two, depending on how you count):
1. three varieties of pinyin, and
2. Wubi

That means people who don’t speak Mandarin and have never had any training in Wubi (which is btw usable only for simplified Chinese) is still left in the cold.

From an accessibility point of view, this really isn’t doing much. In my city’s public libraries, computers are already pre-installed with the pinyin IME, but only the pinyin IME, so people who can’t type pinyin can’t type Chinese there. With Google Translate’s new functionality people who don’t know pinyin (and who aren’t professional typists and/or who don’t write in simplified Chinese) still can’t type Chinese. What Google has done hasn’t improved the situation a single bit.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate introduces new input tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »