United States
Local time: 19:41
English to German
+ ...
Oct 11, 2011

FYI:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 XX:XX:XX +0000, [email protected] wrote:
> -----------
> You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
> Author: FIRST AND LAST NAME [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com
> user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
> Author's IP address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Message type: Request for quote
> -----------
>
> G
... See more
FYI:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 XX:XX:XX +0000, [email protected] wrote:
> -----------
> You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
> Author: FIRST AND LAST NAME [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com
> user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
> Author's IP address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Message type: Request for quote
> -----------
>
> Greetings!
>
>
> I'm FIRST NAME LAST NAME from CITY,STATE (USA) and i'll be
> leaving here in CITY (USA) for the FOREIGN COUNTRY on a business
> trip tomorrow.However,I will need your service to translate
> some documents for me.I need to make a presentation to some
> groups of german speaking people in CITY,Germany on XXth
> of MONTH,2011.I will need you to help me translate the
> papers from English to German,so each of my audience can
> have a copy in german language and they can follow through.I
> will also need that the work be delivered by/before November
> XX,2011.Please,let me know your rate for a total of about
> XXXX words presentation and your methods of payment.I look
> forward to hearing back from you soon.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> FIRST NAME
> TELEPHONE NUMBER (checks out as number used for payment scheme over the internet)
> PHONE NUMBER IN FOREIGN COUNTRY I from above.

-----------------------------------------------

If you enter the sentence " i'll be leaving here ..." on google, you'll get some additional hits.
or enter:
I will need your service to translate some documents for me

Best,
Bernhard

[Edited at 2011-10-11 00:12 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I received the same one Oct 11, 2011

The IP address is from Egypt.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 01:41
yawn.. Oct 11, 2011

Funny isn't it. There really must be a very small proportion of our population that will fall for these kind of shenanigans.
It's just beyond me...regardless of age, education and intellectual capacity, how on earth can somebody fall for this? It's just mind boggling.

I had this one the other day (see below)
I replied to this friendly bloke saying I would be happy to proceed in this urgent matter. Now get this. Instead of taking the time to respond to me personally, he
... See more
Funny isn't it. There really must be a very small proportion of our population that will fall for these kind of shenanigans.
It's just beyond me...regardless of age, education and intellectual capacity, how on earth can somebody fall for this? It's just mind boggling.

I had this one the other day (see below)
I replied to this friendly bloke saying I would be happy to proceed in this urgent matter. Now get this. Instead of taking the time to respond to me personally, he simply sent me another template which didn't even address one of the questions I had sent him. How stupid can you be? The email actually slips though a junk mail filter, somebody is naive enough to reply to this nonsense, and then the scammer doesn't even feel it's necessary to answer my questions....anybody??

Anyway, I'm glad the ProZ community takes the time to warn other people of these potential threats (I am not referring to this particular post. There must be hundreds of warnings in ProZ forums). We don't want anybody to fall victim to these sophisticated scammers, do we...

---
Dear Sir,

I Mr. JOHNSON SMITH from the South African Reserve Bank RSB.

I thank you very much for your mail and It would be my great pleasure to transact this business deal with you and note I have made all the necessary contacts and arrangement with regards to the smooth transfer of the funds into your nominated bank account anywhere in the world without having or experiencing any hitch during and after the transaction successfully completed and the funds been confirmed in your bank account by your bank manager.

However, all you need to do now is to forward the requested details of yours listed below in order to submit and obtain all the précised and legal transfer documents from the various governmental offices.

Your full name, Residential address, Occupation, A copy of your identification, your valid cell phone and fax number, these details would be used to submit and obtain all the précised/legal documentations from the various governmental departments on your behalf and those classified documents shall give you the legal rights to handle and to receive the funds into your bank account without your federal government intervention during the transfer process of the funds.

In-Conclusion, you are required to take an urgent flight to the city of Pretoria Johannesburg South Africa as you needs to sign the bank certified draft at the bank desk before the funds transfer and note that this transfer shall only takes (3) three banking working days to be accomplished starting from the day of your arrival and the binding agreements would be signed and endorsed by the help of an advocate from the South African Judiciary Court.

Kindly and always feel free to call me on my direct mobile number +27-73-085-8153 for further updates and clarification, Remember all the proof of the funds shall be presented to you on the day of your visit and be rest assured that your safety and confidentiality is highly granted, also handling this transaction shall only yields an ever-lasting joy and happiness especially to you and your family without any regret attached to it.

Thanking you in advance for your understanding.

Regards,

Mr. JOHNSON SMITH.

[Edited at 2011-10-11 02:53 GMT]
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and then you get an attachment Oct 11, 2011

Lutz Molderings wrote:

Anyway, I'm glad the ProZ community takes the time to warn other people of these potential threats (I am not referring to this particular post. There must be hundreds of warnings in ProZ forums). We don't want anybody to fall victim to these sophisticated scammers, do we...

Just a note:

If you answer the scam email I posted - and I did, to see the reaction, you actually receive an email addressing you by your first name and and attachment - a text dealing with company mergers and acquisitions - it contains quite a few good sentences but also repeats mistakes which can already be found in the email text.
And yes, the non-capitalization, the left-out spaces and horrible phrasing in the original email are additional hints.
Nevertheless, I thought it's a good idea to post it here.

Cheers,

Bernhard

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Oct 11, 2011

Lutz Molderings wrote:

Before the age of Internet scams, there was the Nigerian letter (yes, one of those folded pieces of paper you gave the old chaps in Royal Mail). I was a direct witness of how a sane, successful, reasonably wealthy business person in my home town got obsessed with calling Nigeria and finding out how he could get his hands on the pile of money.

So as you can see, even people who you would think are fairly intelligent can fall in a trap loaded with the sheer power of greed.

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
report as spam Oct 11, 2011

Hello,
this is just to remind you that when you receive a messages via your profile which you consider as unsolicited advertising or spam (or in this case..sCam ) , you can also simply click on the last line of the message

Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here: ...

to alert site staff,

Ciao!

Daniela

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
@Tomás Oct 11, 2011

But those Nigerian postage stamps were so beautiful!

Trudy

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
I received the same one as well Oct 11, 2011

Thanks for posting, Bernhard!

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Put it to good use Oct 11, 2011

Now if only all the millions and billions of $$$ left around by the ex-dictator's nephews, etc., could only be put to good use it would undoubtedly pay off all the world's debts and end the credit crises as well...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:41
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
How to avoid spam (sorry if I am off-topic) Oct 11, 2011

I appreciate each and every forum topic or post about spam and scammers. I am just wondering - how come that the one and only address I receive such fraudulent stuff from happens to be the one and only address that costs me several hundred dollars per year?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

i'll be leaving here scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »