Italian to English newbie translator needs help!
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: pentastic
pentastic
pentastic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:20
Italiaans naar Engels
+ ...
Apr 12, 2006

Hi everyone,

I am new member of the proz.com website. I have been a member for the past three months. I have submitted quite a few bids for translation jobs over this period of time and have had some positive feedback. However, I have not yet landed my first translation job. I realize that there are many qualified translators but I was hoping to secure some work to start building my reputation. I would love to have a veteran in the translation industry act as my mentor. Perhap
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am new member of the proz.com website. I have been a member for the past three months. I have submitted quite a few bids for translation jobs over this period of time and have had some positive feedback. However, I have not yet landed my first translation job. I realize that there are many qualified translators but I was hoping to secure some work to start building my reputation. I would love to have a veteran in the translation industry act as my mentor. Perhaps even to make some suggestions as to what I can do to improve my translating skills or establish myself in this community. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to be my mentor.

Regards,

Andrew
Collapse

Jonathan Morris
Jonathan Morris  Identity Verified
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
WRITE TO AGENCIES Apr 13, 2006

Sorry haven't got time to be your mentor as massively overworked, but always found bidding for these jobs to be a complete waste of time. Send your CVs to the agencies (do several hundred, highlight your specialities)/offer to do a test piece for free/don't overcharge/if they ask you to fill out zillions of forms then pass on them. You're basically doing direct mail advertising of yourself and for direct mail a 1% hit rate is good, 2% is brilliant. You could buy an E-mail list for about 80 buck... See more
Sorry haven't got time to be your mentor as massively overworked, but always found bidding for these jobs to be a complete waste of time. Send your CVs to the agencies (do several hundred, highlight your specialities)/offer to do a test piece for free/don't overcharge/if they ask you to fill out zillions of forms then pass on them. You're basically doing direct mail advertising of yourself and for direct mail a 1% hit rate is good, 2% is brilliant. You could buy an E-mail list for about 80 bucks - try Alex Eames - run google search. If you understand the underlying business and your product is up to scratch, then the kind of salary figures ($100K a year) he mentions are achievable with half a dozen good agencies to whom you've proved you're reliable. Particularly with Italian. No names mentioned, but my best agency admitted to me that if they need to find more than 6 lt>Eng legal translators at once then they're screwed.

Saw your quote in passing& don't normally hang out here.
Good luck.
Soc.

pentastic wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new member of the proz.com website. I have been a member for the past three months. I have submitted quite a few bids for translation jobs over this period of time and have had some positive feedback. However, I have not yet landed my first translation job. I realize that there are many qualified translators but I was hoping to secure some work to start building my reputation. I would love to have a veteran in the translation industry act as my mentor. Perhaps even to make some suggestions as to what I can do to improve my translating skills or establish myself in this community. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to be my mentor.

Regards,

Andrew
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:20
Lid 2004
Italiaans naar Engels
+ ...
Write to me in private, Andrew Apr 13, 2006

Not promising anything - like Socrates I'm up to my eyeballs and "mentoring" has an academic implication that is at odds with "commercial" commitment, but I'll see what we (IT-EN community) can come up with for you, OK?
Angela

pentastic wrote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Andrew

pentastic
pentastic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:20
Italiaans naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Thank you! Apr 13, 2006

Hi Socrates,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and for making those important suggestions. I appreciate all your help.

Andrew D

socrates wrote:

Sorry haven't got time to be your mentor as massively overworked, but always found bidding for these jobs to be a complete waste of time. Send your CVs to the agencies (do several hundred, highlight your specialities)/offer to do a test piece for free/don't overcharge/if they ask you to fill out zillions of forms then pass on them. You're basically doing direct mail advertising of yourself and for direct mail a 1% hit rate is good, 2% is brilliant. You could buy an E-mail list for about 80 bucks - try Alex Eames - run google search. If you understand the underlying business and your product is up to scratch, then the kind of salary figures ($100K a year) he mentions are achievable with half a dozen good agencies to whom you've proved you're reliable. Particularly with Italian. No names mentioned, but my best agency admitted to me that if they need to find more than 6 lt>Eng legal translators at once then they're screwed.

Saw your quote in passing& don't normally hang out here.
Good luck.
Soc.

pentastic wrote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Andrew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian to English newbie translator needs help!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »