صفحات الموضوع:   [1 2] >
Corporate members listed in the search for freelancers?
ناشر الموضوع: BeaDeer (X)
BeaDeer (X)
BeaDeer (X)  Identity Verified
أنجليزي إلى سلوفيني
+ ...
Jul 7, 2012

Running a search for translators in a desired language pair brings up a profile that does not belong to a translator but to a translation company. - the description "freelancer and outsourcer" is misleading.
The "freelancer and outsourcer" in question is not an individual but a corporation.

Any comments?

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:35
عضو (2003)
فرنسي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
My comment Jul 7, 2012

Given that here you cannot write names, I do not think that our comments can be useful,

May I suggest to submit a support ticket? So that staff can look in to it with accurate information as you will be able to tell them who this person is.

Regards

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2012-07-07 15:45 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 21:35
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Only if the corporate membership has been purchased under a current individual profile page Jul 7, 2012

Any translation office that is owned and operated by one or more translators and is an established company and is outsourcing jobs from their direct clients is considered a corporation, even if they are not an agency in the classical sense. Why should the owners who are translators themselves be excluded from the freelancer list?

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
You can look at my profile Jul 7, 2012

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Given that here you cannot write names, I do not think that our comments can be useful,

May I suggest to submit a support ticket? So that staff can look in to it with accurate information as you will be able to tell them who this person is.

Regards

I am one of those people.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 05:35
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي
+ ...
There is certainly confusion Jul 7, 2012

BeaDeer wrote:
the description "freelancer and outsourcer" is misleading.
The "freelancer and outsourcer" in question is not an individual but a corporation.

I believe a "translator" can be in the form of a "freelance translator" (one self-employed person trading under their own name) or a "translation company" (one or more people trading as a company). It is possible for both forms to outsource work (to freelancers and/or companies); it is also possible for both types to perform all the work themselves.

I quite agree, with you: a freelancer cannot, by definition, be a company.

Sheila

Angie Garbarino
عضو (2003)
فرنسي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
@Nicole :) Jul 7, 2012

I have just sent to you an email via profile, to better explain my post, I cannot here (rules)

Kindest regards and have a wnderful week end!

Angie Garbarino
عضو (2003)
فرنسي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
I agree Jul 7, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Any translation office that is owned and operated by one or more translators and is an established company and is outsourcing jobs from their direct clients is considered a corporation, even if they are not an agency in the classical sense. Why should the owners who are translators themselves be excluded from the freelancer list?

Yes... this is also my opinion

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Hm, technically every self-employed freelancer is a company Jul 7, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

BeaDeer wrote:
the description "freelancer and outsourcer" is misleading.

I believe a "translator" can be in the form of a "freelance translator" (one self-employed person trading under their own name) or a "translation company" (one or more people trading as a company). It is possible for both forms to outsource work (to freelancers and/or companies); it is also possible for both types to perform all the work themselves.

I quite agree, with you: a freelancer cannot, by definition, be a company.

Sheila

No matter if the self-employed person is operating under his/her own name or under an assumed business name.

The profile page simply states: "Subcontracts work for other language companies
Offers job opportunities for freelancers"

Corporate membership means that you pay a hefty price for better exposure and some other benefits.

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Thanks, Angie! :-) Jul 7, 2012

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I have just sent to you an email via profile, to better explain my post, I cannot here (rules)

Kindest regards and have a wnderful week end!

Have a great week, too!

Best,
Nicole

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 05:35
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي
+ ...
Individual translator versus company of translators Jul 7, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:
Hm, technically every self-employed freelancer is a company

No matter if the self-employed person is operating under his/her own name or under an assumed business name.

I can't say I'm an expert in the area, but there are certainly some major differences between a freelancer and a company, even though a company can be set up by one individual. A freelancer trades as an individual person, not as a legal entity. As such, a freelancer owns his/her assets, and debts, and risks his/her own personal belongings if declared bankrupt, including personal property. There is no company structure taking that risk, but then taxes etc are lower.

In your case, Nicole, the company has your name and it only appears to offer the EnglishGerman pairs, so I can see you as having one foot in each camp, so to speak. Where it becomes totally confusing on ProZ.com is where you have a "freelancer and outsourcer" profile that is clearly not in a personal name and where 20 or 30 language pairs are offered. To my mind, that type of profile has no place alongside freelance translators who personally have the expertise they declare. It seems to me that a translator's profile should refer to one single person, whether freelancer or company owner, service provider only or outsourcer as well. If it's a team, there should be several translator profiles linked to one company profile.

Sheila

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
For tax and liability reasons in the US, I prefer to trade as a legal entity Jul 7, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I can't say I'm an expert in the area, but there are certainly some major differences between a freelancer and a company, even though a company can be set up by one individual. A freelancer trades as an individual person, not as a legal entity. As such, a freelancer owns his/her assets, and debts, and risks his/her own personal belongings if declared bankrupt, including personal property. There is no company structure taking that risk, but then taxes etc are lower.

In your case, Nicole, the company has your name and it only appears to offer the EnglishGerman pairs, so I can see you as having one foot in each camp, so to speak. Where it becomes totally confusing on ProZ.com is where you have a "freelancer and outsourcer" profile that is clearly not in a personal name and where 20 or 30 language pairs are offered. To my mind, that type of profile has no place alongside freelance translators who personally have the expertise they declare. It seems to me that a translator's profile should refer to one single person, whether freelancer or company owner, service provider only or outsourcer as well. If it's a team, there should be several translator profiles linked to one company profile.

Sheila

Yes, my name is the profile name. The company however is Schnell Creative Group, Inc. and I can not send invoices or accept checks under my own name.
This company has been established and has been offering marketing services long before we added translation services. Technically, I am an employee of this family-owned business.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 00:35
عضو (2002)
أنجليزي إلى مجري
+ ...
From the searching person's point of view... Jul 7, 2012

I think the difference is that somebody with a freelancer profile has his/her resume (or similar information) included there, experience, etc. and presumably does the work himself/herself. In other words, the person searching for a provider can select the exact individual working on the assignment. A company profile does not allow for selecting the exact professional, as they are presumably passing on the work either to their inhouse employees or their outside contractors. The client (most of th... See more
I think the difference is that somebody with a freelancer profile has his/her resume (or similar information) included there, experience, etc. and presumably does the work himself/herself. In other words, the person searching for a provider can select the exact individual working on the assignment. A company profile does not allow for selecting the exact professional, as they are presumably passing on the work either to their inhouse employees or their outside contractors. The client (most of the time) does not know who exactly would work on the assignment. The mixed type (freelancer + outsourcer) profile type allows for a freelancer to let the clients know that sometime he/she outsources the work (or the other way around, most of the time he/she outsources, but sometimes he/she works on assignments as well).
There is no point in discussing which type of setup is better - clients may have their own preference.

As to the search function, in the Advanced Directory, I think the default setting for "Freelancer/Company" is "Any", which means everybody will be listed.
You can choose "Freelancer", and then only freelancers will be listed.
You can choose "Company", and then only companies will be listed.
There is a checkbox to "Include vendors who define themselves as BOTH a freelancer and a company", and I think the default setting for that is OFF.
So, I think if you want to list ONLY freelancers, excluding the mixed profiles, then you select "Freelancer" and make sure the checkbox is unchecked.
At least this is how it should work, although just a few days ago a bug was discovered (discussed on the PRO forum) where in certain cases companies (pure companies, not mixed profiles) were listed along with freelancers where they were not supposed to. Given that, I would suggest to submit a support request, describing the type of search you did with screenshots, just in case it is related to the same bug.

Katalin

[Edited at 2012-07-08 01:04 GMT]
Collapse

BeaDeer (X)
BeaDeer (X)  Identity Verified
أنجليزي إلى سلوفيني
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Bug Jul 7, 2012

Thank you, Sheila, for understanding my question in the sense it was posted,
and many thanks, Katalin, for providing this detailed information.
It is a bug then.

Also found (in my language pair): when "Include vendors who define themselves as BOTH a freelancer and a company" is ticked and "Company" selected, only freelancers who do *not* work as a corporate body are listed as a result.

In addition to profiles listed under "freelance and outsourcer" altho
... See more
It is a bug then.

Also found (in my language pair): when "Include vendors who define themselves as BOTH a freelancer and a company" is ticked and "Company" selected, only freelancers who do *not* work as a corporate body are listed as a result.

In addition to profiles listed under "freelance and outsourcer" although they do not belong to individuals but to local companies, these either sport a double unverified N or a single verified N, just like individuals. And the odd company owned by two individuals listed as a freelancer/outsourcer, with a verified profile.

P.S.
Thank you, Angie and Nicole, for your take on the subject.

[Edited at 2012-07-08 00:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-08 00:40 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
الولايات المتحدة
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Good. Jul 7, 2012

BeaDeer wrote:

It is a bug then.

Because not every individual on this portal might fit into standardized forms or wishes to do so. Those who refuse to be tagged by the usual "one-fits-all"-label are the truly outstanding ones who can combine various skills as a full-service provider for highly sophisticated tasks. The last thing we need on the largest translator portal on this planet is egalitarianism. No-one is stealing your jobs that are not within your scope anyway.

Edited for readability.

[Edited at 2012-07-08 00:06 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
صفحات الموضوع:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corporate members listed in the search for freelancers?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »