Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]
Poll: I wish there were more human contact or social aspects to translation.
Автор темы: ProZ.com Staff
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Франция
Local time: 02:30
французский => английский
. Aug 31, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:
Also, hanging out with clients in a place where alcohol is consumed, I feel awkward. I remember a client at the agency complaining that an interpreter we'd sent them enjoyed herself too much at the "after" event, swigging a little too much of the freely flowing champagne. She was no longer on duty, she wasn't drunk, she said and did nothing inappropriate, but the client rang up to complain. As a result I'm paranoid about being on my best behaviour. Not that I go wild in bars any more even.

I find it awful that a client would complain about an interpreter like this. What exactly was the complaint? That the interpreter had too much fun?

Apparently! She was very extrovert, as interpreters often are, and was laughing and joking with other people. As I said, she was no longer on duty, she wasn't drunk, she said and did nothing inappropriate, but the client rang up to complain. It's enough to make anyone paranoid. I think she was maybe expecting her to remain in her interpreter role, only speaking when needed, but she wasn't being paid to attend the after party, and she was invited, so she did her own thing, remaining completely appropriate. I think we just sent quieter people to that client's events after that.
The extrovert interpreter did very well for herself actually, she was hired later on to work on a highly popular TV show and any time she started translating for an international guest, the presenter would stop her and say "hey is that you B?" and they'd make a little joke or two before carrying on with the interview, so her extrovert personality helped her there.

[Edited at 2022-08-31 13:06 GMT]

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I wish there were more human contact or social aspects to translation.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »