Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you find yourself less productive when you have been working for weeks without a day off?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:12
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don't worry about it now, Liena Oct 14, 2021

Liena Vijupe wrote:

Paul Lambert wrote:

Moreover, that several people agreed with your snarky remark about which side of the bed I got up on shows that many of the translators here would not even be equal to the task of judging such a test.

I agreed with the general idea, not every word of it. Almost every day there is a poll with far less relevant reply options, I don't understand why are you so focused on this one.
The question was "Do you find yourself ... [in a particular situation]?". Answering with "No, because it never happens to me" (although phrased differently) makes sense to me.

A previous comment of mine noticing how many answers were off-topic and asking people to stay on topic was removed by the moderator for having been off-topic.

Suffice it to say that many of you, to your credit, do not allow yourself to go such a long period without a break. I have been in such situations before and after about 3 weeks I do notice my work suffering.

Moreover, since this question is open to tangents and I have been more careful since last night about which side of the bed up on which to get, I might add that the reason I would let myself work so many days or weeks in a row is because this is very much a feast or famine industry; namely, I could never tell when there would suddenly be a sharp decline in the amount of work and thus money I would be getting in the near future, so I dared not turn down extra weekend or evening work.

[Edited at 2021-10-14 15:24 GMT]

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:12
English to Russian
+ ...
Off-top, if allowed )) Oct 14, 2021

Philippe Etienne wrote:

chained to a stiff wooden chair, right?

Now that's a crime indeed in the translators' world! I was dirt poor in the beginning and had 2 plastic chairs ($9/pair) and a plastic round table ($14) with a table cloth ($4, I believe) for my first kitchen furniture, but my office chair was neither wooden nor stiff. It was much more expensive than most of my clothing items, save the good ones I brought from Russia:-). It took some saving and sacrifices but maybe that's why I still do not complain about any back pain after 34 years in business.

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:12
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
peace Oct 14, 2021

I'm not worried at all, Paul. I didn't create this poll and that answer WAS among the options, so the author must have found it relevant enough. I just found it strange that you would react so strongly to people choosing it and draw further general conclusions from that, but I'm going to assume it's probably because you have been working for weeks without a day off and wish you to get some rest soon!

carolyao0827
carolyao0827
Australia
。。。 Oct 16, 2021

I think working 4 days a week is perfect !

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find yourself less productive when you have been working for weeks without a day off?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »