Fee for interpreting jobs
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
Engels naar Italiaans
+ ...
Feb 7, 2011

In the next months I will receive some interpret jobs for a customer of mine. They will take place near my town (8 km) and in Germany (I think 300 km from here). The customer will take me to Germany every time.

I have no idea how much I can ask for my job. Hour fee? Half-day fee? Whole-day fee? However I will work just a few hours in Germany (I hope so), I will spend the whole day sitting in a car for his company.

Any suggestions?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 14:40
Engels naar Spaans
+ ...
In memoriam
Your Time Feb 7, 2011

Your time is worth the same whether you are working hard or hardly working or perhaps just sitting in a car. When you give a client your time, then that is time you do not have available for doing other well-paid work, so charge accordingly.

Francesca Baroni
Francesca Baroni  Identity Verified
Engels naar Italiaans
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
thank you Feb 7, 2011

for your your suggestion.

I hope that someone from Austria will answer and tell me also the Austrian fees.

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Nederland
Lid 2008
Engels naar Nederlands
+ ...
full day fee Feb 8, 2011

Probably upwards of 300 - 450 euros, even if you just have to sit in the car all day.
(or even if your services are not really required onsite)...

You just miss a whole day of translations, emails, possible future jobs etc. You are exclusively available for the client.

If the customer wants to save money he should get a local interpreter, who will probably charge him a minimum fee of 1/2 a day as well...

Ed

Chiara Cherubini
Chiara Cherubini  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Duits naar Italiaans
+ ...
full day Feb 8, 2011

Hi,

I agree with previous posters that you should charge a full day of work, since in the days you are working for this customer you won't be able to accept other jobs.

I don't know exactly about fees in Austria, but in Germany where I live professional interpreters usually charge at least 500 Euro/day for this kind of service for a direct client. And according to the statistics of BDÜ this is actually the lowest price range.

I hope this helps

... See more
Hi,

I agree with previous posters that you should charge a full day of work, since in the days you are working for this customer you won't be able to accept other jobs.

I don't know exactly about fees in Austria, but in Germany where I live professional interpreters usually charge at least 500 Euro/day for this kind of service for a direct client. And according to the statistics of BDÜ this is actually the lowest price range.

I hope this helps

Chiara
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fee for interpreting jobs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »