Thread poster: Konrad Köhler
Konrad Köhler
Konrad Köhler
Local time: 08:22
Spanish to German
+ ...
Mar 28, 2008

Hi,

I would like to ask what texts other members have chosen for their sample translation. I mainly translate medical market research questionnaires which are confidential and I guess I can't just translate an article from a newspaper because of copyright issues.

Thanks in advance,

Konrad Köhler

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 09:22
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I did it my way Mar 28, 2008

I just had a look at what I have already done for clients. Translating the first few 100 words of Wahlverwandschaften probably would not cut.

Alles Gute

Vito

[Edited at 2008-03-28 02:45]

Béatrice Leclercq
Béatrice Leclercq  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:22
French to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask for permission Mar 28, 2008

Hi Konrad,

for the sample translations on my profile, I have taken some texts that I have translated for various customers in the past. I have chosen some extracts of these texts which I think are interesting for potential customers (meaning that they show what I believe are my strong points in translation). A sample translation shouldn't be too long, as I don't think anybody will read 2 or 3 pages of this kind of text.

Before publishing them on my profile, I have delet
... See more
Hi Konrad,

for the sample translations on my profile, I have taken some texts that I have translated for various customers in the past. I have chosen some extracts of these texts which I think are interesting for potential customers (meaning that they show what I believe are my strong points in translation). A sample translation shouldn't be too long, as I don't think anybody will read 2 or 3 pages of this kind of text.

Before publishing them on my profile, I have deleted all names of companies and everything that could be confidential. Then, I have sent these prepared source texts together with my translation to my customers again, and asked them for the permission to use them as sample texts. Until now, all of them agreed. I think this (written) permission is really important. Sometimes I see sample texts where you can find everything, from the name of the (end) customer to their complete web address. I don't think these companies would be pleased to find, say, their full terms and conditions on a website other than their own, and in a completely different context.

If you don't have the kind of texts you would like to publish as smples, and you see an interesting article in a newspaper or so, maybe you can contact the author / the newspaper and ask for their permission to translate an extract and publish it? It would be interesting to know if anybody else has done this before, and what kind of reactions they have got.

But in general, I think it's better to take something you have actually translated for some customer (something you got paid for).

Good luck

Béatrice
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sample Translation/Profile

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »