Interpreting with printed copy of speech
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 21:39
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
Nov 3, 2011

Hi all,

So I received a copy of the speech that I will be interpreting, and translated it, which is of course great, but now I'm more confused as to what to do.

Initially I was planning on using my digital voice recorder and doing simul off of that, but now that I have the speech I wonder if it's best to just make any changes, and notes directly on to it. I fear that that using my DVR and referring to my printed copy would be too much multi-tasking and I might get flus
... See more
Hi all,

So I received a copy of the speech that I will be interpreting, and translated it, which is of course great, but now I'm more confused as to what to do.

Initially I was planning on using my digital voice recorder and doing simul off of that, but now that I have the speech I wonder if it's best to just make any changes, and notes directly on to it. I fear that that using my DVR and referring to my printed copy would be too much multi-tasking and I might get flustered.

What would you do?

Any tips on how to refer to it, but not look like I'm reading?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-11-03 16:46 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandre Alcântara
Alexandre Alcântara
Brazilië
Local time: 22:39
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
In my humble opinion Nov 3, 2011

Hello Jen,

I think it depends on how much time you have to analyse the speech. I didn`t quite understand the purpose of the digital recording, but if I receive the speech (text), say, half an hour before the event, I`ll do a quick sight translation using the paper of the text to make notes. If I have more time than that, I`ll start filling in the gaps and if there is a lot of time I`ll do a complete translation, but I won`t read it on the event. It will serve as reference for terms
... See more
Hello Jen,

I think it depends on how much time you have to analyse the speech. I didn`t quite understand the purpose of the digital recording, but if I receive the speech (text), say, half an hour before the event, I`ll do a quick sight translation using the paper of the text to make notes. If I have more time than that, I`ll start filling in the gaps and if there is a lot of time I`ll do a complete translation, but I won`t read it on the event. It will serve as reference for terms that might slip my mind, and it usually comes out better than the translation. One thing I do sometimes, is to use voice recognition for the sight translation to see how much work needs to be done. I hope this helps.

Best regards
Alex
Collapse

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 22:39
Lid
Portugees naar Engels
Interesting one Nov 3, 2011

This is relevant to me at the moment Jen, because I have received a speech to be made by a professor at a conference, and am in the process of translating it as we speak.

It is so, so convoluted and full of very unplain English, that I am doing a full translation - otherwise I'll get lost during the simultaneous - I don't yet know whether there will be a cabin (for me to hide in) or whether I'll be on display - it could even end up being a consecutive.

Either way I'm de
... See more
This is relevant to me at the moment Jen, because I have received a speech to be made by a professor at a conference, and am in the process of translating it as we speak.

It is so, so convoluted and full of very unplain English, that I am doing a full translation - otherwise I'll get lost during the simultaneous - I don't yet know whether there will be a cabin (for me to hide in) or whether I'll be on display - it could even end up being a consecutive.

Either way I'm definitely using the translation I made - if I don't read it verbatim I'll most certainly be relying heavily on it, whether I'm on display or not - there's no other way with the complexity of the text - I do, of course, have the luxury of having plenty of time to prepare it, and fully intend to practise it as well. - I know from experience that it isn't always that way.

I'd stick with your written translation as a guide if I were you.

Good luck!
Collapse

jenbikkal (X)
jenbikkal (X)

Local time: 21:39
Frans naar Engels
+ ...
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Thank you! Nov 3, 2011

Alexandre: Thank you for your point of view and advice. The digital voice recorder would be used to record the speaker. It is apparently a much better way to do consecutive. One would record the speaker and then do simultaneous off of the playback. Research has shown that this method provide a more ... See more
Alexandre: Thank you for your point of view and advice. The digital voice recorder would be used to record the speaker. It is apparently a much better way to do consecutive. One would record the speaker and then do simultaneous off of the playback. Research has shown that this method provide a more accurate and complete interpretation. http://www.erudit.org/revue/meta/2007/v52/n2/016070ar.html

Mark: My speech is pretty convoluted as well. A politician (actually a French Mayor) is the speaker and I too have the luxury of preparing. So I'll just practice at home, and as you say, rely heavily on it. Thanks for sharing your advice!

[Edited at 2011-11-03 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting with printed copy of speech

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »