24 points on BB, enthusiastic comments by peers, and low rates ?!?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italië
Feb 12, 2009

Hi all

I've just received a test from a big company that was searching for medical experts with Trados
(contacted through Proz translation-jobs page) and whose BB page shows:
24 points in 3 years and enthusiastic comments by peers

they proposed to me the usual "rebate rate versus regular jobs" with low rates
Translation: 0,036 EUR/source word
Edit: 0,018 EUR/word
Hourly rate: 20 EUR/hour.

Then, I suggest to peers to implement
... See more
Hi all

I've just received a test from a big company that was searching for medical experts with Trados
(contacted through Proz translation-jobs page) and whose BB page shows:
24 points in 3 years and enthusiastic comments by peers

they proposed to me the usual "rebate rate versus regular jobs" with low rates
Translation: 0,036 EUR/source word
Edit: 0,018 EUR/word
Hourly rate: 20 EUR/hour.

Then, I suggest to peers to implement a more profitable/honest classification of agencies

as an example
***don't score the agency after the first job***
check the agency for 1 year, at least, to see if they pays timely, if rates don't fall, if the agency isn't a pain in the neck, if PM and proofreaders are collaborative etc.

ONLY after this period, keep score for the agency, otherwise the BB will become less and less and less useful ...

Claudio
Collapse

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italië
Local time: 18:45
Lid 2003
Engels naar Italiaans
+ ...
and for 0.036 Feb 12, 2009

They deserve 1!

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
Rates are not everything Feb 12, 2009

Imagine a translator accepts a low rate due to various reasons (he/she may have low costs within the country or does not really live from this job).

The rate had been agreed before doing the job (of course).

If the agency is paying punctually and the projact managers are friendly and helpful - so why not giving a positive feedback?

I also saw translators giving 5 points but indicating "rates are quite low".

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italië
ONDERWERPSTARTER
rates are not everything Feb 12, 2009

sure!
but I live in Italy and they know perfectly that I live in Italy, so that's no excuse

anyway, following your reasoning, if they offer 0.036 to an italian translator who lives in Italy, they will offer 0,01 to an italian (?) peer that lives in India ...

they deserve 0 (zero) for this politics, to me

Claudio

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
If they already knew... Feb 12, 2009

that you live in Italy, I fully agree.

What I meant was: if they offer this job on proz.com and somebody applies, because he/she may afford working at such low prices, then it is no problem to give 5 points.

I faced similar things, mainly with India-located companies. They tell me, that they (as Indian companies) can not pay higher prices and I (as a translator in Germany) have to tell them that I can not live with such rates.

But if you see, how many appli
... See more
that you live in Italy, I fully agree.

What I meant was: if they offer this job on proz.com and somebody applies, because he/she may afford working at such low prices, then it is no problem to give 5 points.

I faced similar things, mainly with India-located companies. They tell me, that they (as Indian companies) can not pay higher prices and I (as a translator in Germany) have to tell them that I can not live with such rates.

But if you see, how many applications some jobs with low rates receive, you won't wonder why agencies try again and again....

All in all I agree with you.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazilië
Local time: 13:45
Engels naar Portugees
+ ...
In memoriam
A popular trick Feb 12, 2009

One translation agency in Brazil is well known in the trade for hiring "new" translators for an initial small job, and paying them on the dot. Then they hire them again for a really big one, and the poor fellow will only see the money after a judge has banged the gavel, and in ten monthly installments,

I managed to elude them for years, in spite of repeated "invitations", but fell into the very same trap being used by an agency in the USA. They had a small, but extremely urgent jo
... See more
One translation agency in Brazil is well known in the trade for hiring "new" translators for an initial small job, and paying them on the dot. Then they hire them again for a really big one, and the poor fellow will only see the money after a judge has banged the gavel, and in ten monthly installments,

I managed to elude them for years, in spite of repeated "invitations", but fell into the very same trap being used by an agency in the USA. They had a small, but extremely urgent job. The end-client was a worldwide omnipresent financial services corporation, which I had served for years in a row long ago. I delivered it real quick, and they paid me within 50 minutes. I never had the time to read the small print on the PO, and mentally ranked them A-1.

More recently, they sent me a slightly larger, but still urgent job. I did it, delivered ahead of time, but the payment did not come within the next hour, nor the next two weeks. No replies to my e-mails to the PM.

Only then I read the looooong text in veeery small print on their PO: Contractor invoices are processed on the last day of the second month from date invoices are received by XXX. (snip) All payments to contractors are made by XXX company checks or by PayPal in U.S. dollars by the last day of the second month following the date of the invoice after satisfactory completion of the assignment.

And only today I bothered to have a look at their Blue Board rating, LWA barely above 2.

This seems to be just one of the popular tricks used nowadays. I wonder if those highly respectable end-clients, with comprehensive and very strict policies on ethics, have any idea on the kind of scammers they are hiring to handle their translation work.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Frans naar Duits
+ ...
WTH... Feb 12, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

This seems to be just one of the popular tricks used nowadays. I wonder if those highly respectable end-clients, with comprehensive and very strict policies on ethics, have any idea on the kind of scammers they are hiring to handle their translation work.

Should we assume that end clients care in the slightest about the way translations are processed? It would be great news for me... Some do - I agree - but some others only have their budgets and cost-cuttings in mind.

Laurent K.

PS: yes, it's full moon (or it was some days ago) and I am in my cynical mode...:(

[Edited at 2009-02-12 20:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

24 points on BB, enthusiastic comments by peers, and low rates ?!?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »