Where to find a dictionary to convert
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: FabrizioFrit (X)
FabrizioFrit (X)
FabrizioFrit (X)
Dec 28, 2009

Is there anyone advising me where I can download dictionaries English-Italian and Spanish-Italian in ASCII format? I mean I need a dictionary to import as glossary into a CAT tool so I have to get a dictionary in a format to be converted in order to load as glossary for Omega T (the CAT tool I work with). Where can I find it?
Thanks!

Fabry

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Local time: 01:16
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
Use a dictionary when possible Dec 28, 2009

FabrizioFritton wrote:

Is there anyone advising me where I can download dictionaries English-Italian and Spanish-Italian in ASCII format? I mean I need a dictionary to import as glossary into a CAT tool so I have to get a dictionary in a format to be converted in order to load as glossary for Omega T (the CAT tool I work with). Where can I find it?

To use a dictionary in OmegaT, it's more convenient to use a Stardict dictionary.
There is at least one English to Italian dictionary here:
http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries_dictd-www.freedict.de.php

Didier

[Edited at 2009-12-28 09:56 GMT]
Edited because of broken handling of /url on ProZ

[Edited at 2009-12-28 09:57 GMT]

sjbeale (X)
sjbeale (X)
Local time: 00:16
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Problem downloading individual dictionary Dec 5, 2010

I have used your link- thank you very much for it yet I can't seem to download any individual dictionaries - it only takes me to this page -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/stardict/files/ which I understand is to download the Stardict program itself (which I already have). I have tried right click 'Save as' but this does not work. Any pointers? I have also tried the other links for s... See more
I have used your link- thank you very much for it yet I can't seem to download any individual dictionaries - it only takes me to this page -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/stardict/files/ which I understand is to download the Stardict program itself (which I already have). I have tried right click 'Save as' but this does not work. Any pointers? I have also tried the other links for stardict files in the yahoo group and they all seem to lead to the same page.

I have managed to download some from torrent sites but they have so far been incompatible as I noted your point about the sametypesequence= g or m only format in another post.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Local time: 01:16
Engels naar Frans
+ ...
It seems some sametypesequence=x can be used Dec 6, 2010

sjbeale wrote:
I have used your link- thank you very much for it yet I can't seem to download any individual dictionaries - it only takes me to this page -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/stardict/files/ which I understand is to download the Stardict program itself (which I already have). I have tried right click 'Save as' but this does not work. Any pointers? I have also tried the other links for stardict files in the yahoo group and they all seem to lead to the same page.

Unfortunately, most links to GPL StarDict dictionaries seem to be down.

I have managed to download some from torrent sites but they have so far been incompatible as I noted your point about the sametypesequence= g or m only format in another post.

It seems that at least some sametypesequence=x dictionaries can be used.
On the XDXF Dictionaries Download site, select a source and a target language, and select StarDict for the format.

The two English to Spanish dictionaries I downloaded had sametypesequence=x. By simply changing the "x" to "g" in the .ifo file (e.g., with Notepad), I was able to use them.

Didier

sjbeale (X)
sjbeale (X)
Local time: 00:16
Spaans naar Engels
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Dec 9, 2010

Thank you very much, Didier! I didn't expect to be able to solve it in such a simple way! Great - all my previously dud dictionaries are now working fine!
Thanks again!

Regards,

Steve

[Edited at 2010-12-09 12:11 GMT]

PS Are there any particular favourites you would recommend or is it a case of take what you can find that works?

[Edited at 2010-12-09 12:15 GMT]

We hebben geen speciale moderator aangesteld voor dit forum.
Wanneer u overtredingen van de sitevoorschriften wilt melden of hulp wilt hebben, neem dan contact op met ProZ.com-medewerkers »

Where to find a dictionary to convert

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »