A ridiculous request that I got yesterday.
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:08
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Nov 7, 2004

Originally, this was a job (http://www.proz.com/job/65368) posted on Proz.com a few days ago. due to the terrible volume, I just had a browse and skipped it.

however, I received the following request from an unknown company yesterday:
We have got a Chinese phone book ( 300 pages) which is to be translated into English in Excel ( just like the example files attached). There is a payment o
... See more
Originally, this was a job (http://www.proz.com/job/65368) posted on Proz.com a few days ago. due to the terrible volume, I just had a browse and skipped it.

however, I received the following request from an unknown company yesterday:
We have got a Chinese phone book ( 300 pages) which is to be translated into English in Excel ( just like the example files attached). There is a payment of USD 300 for accurately translating these 300 pages. If you would like to take up this project, send us your sample translation of one page attached. Put your sample translation in the excel sheet attached under the heading ‘Test Page’ .

(the signature part has been deleted for the privacy of this company).

if not coincident, they must be the same job. the original poster offers USD 7.5 per page but this guy offers only USD 1 per page. and the sample page contains 600-800 characters.

sure, I have to turn blind to this email request.

however, I cordially request all of my colleaques not to work with such companies.
they always rob jobs at incrediblly low prices but try to find even cheaper translators to get everything done.

such case happened to me several times before. most of them are from India and Russia.

good luck. everybody
Collapse

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 10:08
Chinees naar Engels
+ ...
This is interesting. Nov 7, 2004

I don't know how often this happens here, surely this is some company's normal practice. I don't mean to be offensive. Shopping around is one thing, trying to dope someone is another.
I have heard somebody offering US$0.02/word. I am not sure about the quality of this person's translation, nonetheless it gets people's attention.

Bo Smith
Bo Smith
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Such low rate does exist and quite common. Nov 21, 2004

Angus WU wrote:

I don't know how often this happens here, surely this is some company's normal practice. I don't mean to be offensive. Shopping around is one thing, trying to dope someone is another.
I have heard somebody offering US$0.02/word. I am not sure about the quality of this person's translation, nonetheless it gets people's attention.

I am sure lots translation agencies (companies) in Asia pay [email protected]/sw or even less, this is very common. Nothing unusual.

Jeremy_Chen
Jeremy_Chen
Australië
Local time: 12:08
Engels naar Chinees
+ ...
Stories on my side Dec 16, 2004

OK.

I am currently studying Translation in Taipei. My classmates are doing their translations at 0.015 USD (0.5 TWD) for publishers. I am quite suspicious of its quality.

Ironically, my school divide students into translation and interpreting groups. But students of interpreting, taking no translation courses, still happily work as translators. Teachers are "borrowed" from the department of English Education. Experienced teachers are part-time only. They are underpaid s
... See more
OK.

I am currently studying Translation in Taipei. My classmates are doing their translations at 0.015 USD (0.5 TWD) for publishers. I am quite suspicious of its quality.

Ironically, my school divide students into translation and interpreting groups. But students of interpreting, taking no translation courses, still happily work as translators. Teachers are "borrowed" from the department of English Education. Experienced teachers are part-time only. They are underpaid so they view their teachings as "donation of their wise."

My folks start to talk about establishing certification system for Taiwan. Honestly, I almost vomit when coming cross their lectures in seminars. They should be subject to reforms too.

But sometimes I still hear someone get a high rate. I guess Taiwan doesn't establish a transparent market for translators.

I reveal too many secrets. Hope no professors here.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A ridiculous request that I got yesterday.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »