Thread poster: PARIS BASED
PARIS BASED
PARIS BASED
Local time: 21:19
French to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 1, 2017

Hello,

I was wondering if I can find any weebsite where British case laws are translated to French, where other legal documents are also translated. In France we have legifrance.com

Please help I need British case-laws that were translated to French in order to compare them.

American samples with translation, Canadian, and Ausralian are also welcome.

Best

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have you tried Eur-Lex? Dec 2, 2017

There you will find all kinds of documents in French and in English from treaties, international agreements, EU legislation, jurisprudence...

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/homepage.html

PARIS BASED
PARIS BASED
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Dec 2, 2017

Thank you Teresa it's a very rich reference indeed. I am still looking for UK case laws translated to French still :/

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe Dec 3, 2017

La Cour européenne des Droits de l'homme: http://www.echr.coe.int/Pages/home.aspx?p=caselaw/HUDOC/translations

PARIS BASED
PARIS BASED
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 3, 2017

Very interesting too thank you so much. I need national decisions from the UK courts that were translated to French. I still cannot find any.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Dec 3, 2017

... unless one of the Parties is French, I can’t see why a decision by a British court would be translated into French.

PARIS BASED
PARIS BASED
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Dec 4, 2017

It's for European arrest warrants and in case there was a refusal of extradition sometimes we are asked to translate case laws from the UK on which the authorities based their decisions in order to refuse the extradition of someone.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Case law references Dec 4, 2017

I think I understand what you mean. It is highly unikely that you will find the English law reports translated into French though. There is one very good reason that you are probably not able to find any FR translations of EN caselaw: it probably doesn't exist. You may find extradition cases here, but they will be in English. All I can suggest is that you find a case involving FR and EN and that got a lot of media coverage. That may be one way of finding relevant sources. Otherwise, your inspira... See more
I think I understand what you mean. It is highly unikely that you will find the English law reports translated into French though. There is one very good reason that you are probably not able to find any FR translations of EN caselaw: it probably doesn't exist. You may find extradition cases here, but they will be in English. All I can suggest is that you find a case involving FR and EN and that got a lot of media coverage. That may be one way of finding relevant sources. Otherwise, your inspiration will have to come from international sources.

http://www.bailii.org/ gives you free access to over 50 caselaw databases.

Are you actually looking for a specific case or examples to see how it has been done by others? Is this an exercise you are doing, or is it an actual case?

[Edited at 2017-12-04 23:30 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sources for ENGLISH TO french legal translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »