Book recommendations: how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge?
Thread poster: Natalia Pastor Pearce
Natalia Pastor Pearce
Natalia Pastor Pearce
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:00
Member (2023)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2017

Hello everyone!

Just out of interest, in my free time I'm researching how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge around the world - how original ideas might have been changed or adapted, reasons for/consequences of this, etc. A very broad topic and, it seems, one that hasn't been addressed much.

I'm currently reading "Science in Translation", Montgomery 2000, and finding it quite a 'heavy' read. I'm looking for something a little more digest
... See more
Hello everyone!

Just out of interest, in my free time I'm researching how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge around the world - how original ideas might have been changed or adapted, reasons for/consequences of this, etc. A very broad topic and, it seems, one that hasn't been addressed much.

I'm currently reading "Science in Translation", Montgomery 2000, and finding it quite a 'heavy' read. I'm looking for something a little more digestable (and less academic), maybe in a similar tone to "Guns, Germs and Steel", Jared Diamond. I've never studied translation at university and have no connections I could ask, so does anyone have any suggestions?

-----------

On another note, as previously mentioned, I have no academic training in translation. I have read most of the important books in translation masters reading lists, incl. Venuti's "Translation Studies Reader" and Mona Baker's "In Other Words". It's safe to say I have a firm grasp of translation theory and ethics, and would like to turn to more practical material. Though I'm a practising translator, I firmly believe there's always something to improve on.

Yes, the obvious answer here is "do a translation course" - already looking into it, but my current time constraints mean that self-learning is my only option for the moment.

I've already worked my way through "Thinking German Translation" and "Thinking Spanish Translation". Are there any other books that have a similar practical, self-learning approach?

N.B. My source languages are Spanish, Catalan and German. Target language is English.

Thank you in advance
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book recommendations: how translation has affected the dissemination of scientific knowledge?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »