https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/153353-bullets_and_numbering.html

Bullets and numbering
Thread poster: Nathalie Reis
Nathalie Reis
Nathalie Reis  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:03
English to French
Dec 14, 2009

I am translating a document with bullets and numbering with SDL trados. I open a segment, translate its content, but when I click on set/close, trados tells me that it cannot close it because the cursor must be in souce or target field. The only way I have found to deal with it is to remove the numbering, but that's not acceptable for the end document. Do you have any suggestions please?

Thank you!

Nathalie

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:03
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
use tag editor Dec 14, 2009

It sounds as if you're using workbench in Word.
Change to Tag Editor (or Studio better still) and you'll avoid all those problems.

I've just refused a job for which the client was asking for a bilingual Word file delivery. It's not worth the hassle if you can see the file is full of" bullets".

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Draft mode Dec 14, 2009

Work in "draft" mode: change the setting under "document views" in Word to "Draft" instead of "Print Layout" (which is the default setting). (I have no idea what the equivalent terms are in French, but I do know that it works!)

Nathalie Reis
Nathalie Reis  Identity Verified
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 14, 2009

I've tried both solutions and they work!

Thank you again!

Nathalie

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Draft Mode! Apr 5, 2010

I'll second what Sindy said about using Draft Mode. This is a VERY HANDY TRICK to help avoid many of the problems of working in Workbench in Word.

Michael

Lianne Wouters
Lianne Wouters  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:03
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Problem solved! Dec 11, 2010

The question was posed nearly a year ago, but you made my day (actually my evening)! I was facing exactly the same problem as Nathalie and was very happy to find this post. A very frustrating problem if you don't know how to solve it. Thanks!

Nicholas Basily
Nicholas Basily
Argentina
Local time: 02:03
Spanish to English
Four years later... May 15, 2014

Exactly the same problem, precisely the right solution!! A godsend -- bless you Sindy!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bullets and numbering

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »