Cevdet Yilmaz
Cevdet Yilmaz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:52
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Nov 23, 2020

Fake company “Free Works” http://freeworks-co.com/ and email [email protected] finds you from freelancer platforms, says that recruits translators, makes a test and give you some work, but says that it will be paid only over pay-secured again fake ... See more
Fake company “Free Works” http://freeworks-co.com/ and email [email protected] finds you from freelancer platforms, says that recruits translators, makes a test and give you some work, but says that it will be paid only over pay-secured again fake payment platform, https://pay-secured.com/ due to restrictions in Belarus. You work for a week and earn 2500 $, however, in order to receive your payment you need to upgrade your wallet on Pay-secured and this is 100 $. If you think I can pay 100$ to take the 2500$ you are mistaken and also you provide your credit card information, which may cause you a bigger loss. When you refuse to pay this amount and ask for other payment methods, they don’t contact you again and disappear.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 10:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-23 10:51 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea de Angelis
Adieu
Brahym oul
Andrea Rossi (X)
yuripomps

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Please clarify Nov 23, 2020

Did they contact you via ProZ.com or any other platform?

Please provide email address (or at least domain name) and IP address from the email, so that the scammers could be blocked.

Cevdet Yilmaz
Sheila Wilson
Thayenga
Yolanda Broad
Andrea de Angelis
Juliana Mendes
Clark Kudizemba

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Doubtful website, doubtful outsourcer Nov 23, 2020

Domain freeworks-co.com has been registered 3.5 months ago (on July 28, 2020) for 1 year, and will expire on July 28, 2021, see https://bit.ly/33cbl7z

The website certificate expires in 90 days, and the h
... See more
Domain freeworks-co.com has been registered 3.5 months ago (on July 28, 2020) for 1 year, and will expire on July 28, 2021, see https://bit.ly/33cbl7z

The website certificate expires in 90 days, and the hostname does not match the cetificate:
https://www.cubdomain.com/tools/ssl-certificate-checker

It looks to me that "freeworks" means actually "work for free". It is advisable to check potential outsourcers BEFORE accepting any jobs from them.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 12:37 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Andrea de Angelis
Juliana Mendes
Aline Amorim
Clark Kudizemba

Margarita Claxton
Margarita Claxton
Argentina
Local time: 13:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
FreeWork Scam Nov 23, 2020

I was (am) on of the people who fell for it. I was contacted through another freelance website, and "recruited". Since they did not ask for any personal information, I figured (although it sounded too good to be true), I would give it a try, I would only waste a week if it was a scam (and it seems to be). Since day one, they said they would pay through PayPal, but then added that due to restrictions, they had to go through another website, pay-secured, and you could link your PayPal there. Li... See more
I was (am) on of the people who fell for it. I was contacted through another freelance website, and "recruited". Since they did not ask for any personal information, I figured (although it sounded too good to be true), I would give it a try, I would only waste a week if it was a scam (and it seems to be). Since day one, they said they would pay through PayPal, but then added that due to restrictions, they had to go through another website, pay-secured, and you could link your PayPal there. Like I said, it did not sound legit, but at the same time, most of it seemed to elaborate for a scam. I did advise I had some work, so I only did a few small Bitcoin translations.
The WhatsApp number is: +30 21 1198 4493, email: [email protected] website: www.freeworks-co.com, Skype: live:.cid.a49900a317def7ec,
and the "recruiter" who contacted me was Gregory K., a user that was still active a few days ago and now shows that it has been deleted.
Collapse

Schirley Ortegón Barahona
Adieu
Clark Kudizemba
Andrea Rossi (X)

Tasneem O.
Tasneem O.
Egypt
Local time: 18:52
English to Arabic
How to deal with the scammer Dec 13, 2020

I believe that the best thing to be done is to share the translation for free on the web, for example in the form of a bilingual file or 2 separate files.
He got it for free, so let's make it really free.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 11:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Pay attention to geography Dec 15, 2020

Cevdet Yilmaz wrote:

...in Belarus. You work for a week and earn 2500 $,

Nobody makes $2500 a week in Belarus translating. That's a steady workflow of 3000+ words/day at $.12, no discounts. Or full-time for $50/hour. In the country where .05 euro is a very good rate and 0.03 is not uncommon, with CAT discounts. Average salary in Belarus is $500/month.

I know that there are high-end exceptions everywhere but you can't become one of them out of the blue through some free work platform.

I'm glad you got out of it unharmed.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Aline Amorim
Adieu

Flavia Martins dos Santos
Flavia Martins dos Santos  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The scam continues Dec 26, 2020

I was "hired" this week by them. Sent me 3 files and said the payments would be weekly. I was suspicious at first, but continued until they asked me to open an account on a site to transfer the money because Paypal was impossible. Then they requested to pay U$ 500.00 to release the top wallet to be able to receive the money. When I continued questioning about this with the site attendant he stopped replying.

Terrible isn't it???

Well, let's hope that others don't fall
... See more
I was "hired" this week by them. Sent me 3 files and said the payments would be weekly. I was suspicious at first, but continued until they asked me to open an account on a site to transfer the money because Paypal was impossible. Then they requested to pay U$ 500.00 to release the top wallet to be able to receive the money. When I continued questioning about this with the site attendant he stopped replying.

Terrible isn't it???

Well, let's hope that others don't fall on the scam.

[Edited at 2020-12-26 22:12 GMT]
Collapse

Juliana Mendes
Aline Amorim
Clark Kudizemba
Andrea Rossi (X)

Eileen Ron
Eileen Ron
Ecuador
English to Spanish
+ ...
Freeworks Scam Jan 7, 2021

I recently found out about this site and I started working for them last week, but I was also suspicious because they gave me 3 documents to translate and gave me 2500$ and being naive and excited new translator I am I almost fell for it when they told me that I had to register for a "safe" site called safe-transfers.com but I sadly learned that it was a scam because of my sister that is a translator too. Thank God I didn't pay for it, but they made me sign a contract and I'm really mad about it... See more
I recently found out about this site and I started working for them last week, but I was also suspicious because they gave me 3 documents to translate and gave me 2500$ and being naive and excited new translator I am I almost fell for it when they told me that I had to register for a "safe" site called safe-transfers.com but I sadly learned that it was a scam because of my sister that is a translator too. Thank God I didn't pay for it, but they made me sign a contract and I'm really mad about it. They email they currently have is [email protected] and the Skype name is live:.cid.a49900a317def7ec
Please help me report this
Collapse

Andrea Rossi (X)
Rama Al Mansour

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Whoa ... multi-layered nesting doll scam Jan 14, 2021

Almost impressive!

If you guys have guessed correctly, their scam tiers include:
1) collecting unpaid labor for resale
2) membership fees to a bogus payment platform
3) stealing credit card info via the above

If anything, I'm kind of shocked that, with all this complexity, they still did the "almost-honest" thing and clearly explained their primary business model in the name of their (probably nonexistent) company

I mean cmon guys, it LITE
... See more
Almost impressive!

If you guys have guessed correctly, their scam tiers include:
1) collecting unpaid labor for resale
2) membership fees to a bogus payment platform
3) stealing credit card info via the above

If anything, I'm kind of shocked that, with all this complexity, they still did the "almost-honest" thing and clearly explained their primary business model in the name of their (probably nonexistent) company

I mean cmon guys, it LITERALLY says Free Work
Collapse

Daryo

Alynne Vivar (X)
Alynne Vivar (X)
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
FreeWorks scam 2021, the saga continues... Jan 31, 2021

Hi, this company hired me last week, I was very excited because I am just starting my career as a freelance translator. I signed a contract and did 3 translations for them. They said the payments were weekly and I chose to get paid by Paypal; however, 2 days ago they said I had to open an account on safe-transfers.com in order to get paid. As opening that account isn't free and clearly doesn't seem "safe", I asked them to get paid by Paypal as stated on the contract, but they literally said: "Th... See more
Hi, this company hired me last week, I was very excited because I am just starting my career as a freelance translator. I signed a contract and did 3 translations for them. They said the payments were weekly and I chose to get paid by Paypal; however, 2 days ago they said I had to open an account on safe-transfers.com in order to get paid. As opening that account isn't free and clearly doesn't seem "safe", I asked them to get paid by Paypal as stated on the contract, but they literally said: "There's no other way". They don't reply to my messages now, I'm sad but I'm still sharing my experience so no more people get scammed by them.

And how I ended up on this company:

I saw a job offer here and applied via email to: [email protected]

Somone replied to me saying: "(...)I am sorry the project I posted was given to another candidate but there is another job vacancy available at a reputable company I do recruit for. Would you mind working online with this company,Freeworks ? Please go through their website below; https://freeworks-co.com"

Then, they used the email: [email protected]

And these are the contacts they gave me: WhatsApp through +30 21 1198 4493 - Skype by searching Freeworks. live:.cid.a49900a317def7ec
Collapse

sozib alam (X)
Andrea Rossi (X)

Brahym oul
Brahym oul
Morocco
Local time: 16:52
Arabic to English
+ ...
scam Mar 31, 2021

Hello translators,
beware of another scammer sending fraud job recruitment with Echlance company name
I haven't yet gone far with them, but got suspicious from how things went in terms of reply professionalism and the like. min rate0.07 and mx0.2 usd per word. stating to be belarus while phone number is Greece, if experienced the same pls share

Andrea Rossi (X)
Rama Al Mansour

Habib Amri
Habib Amri  Identity Verified
Qatar
Local time: 19:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Echlance - SCAMMERS Apr 7, 2021

BEWARE THESE SCAMMERS.
A week ago, I was contacted by a scammer pretending to be a supervisor of six translators and claiming to be working for ECHLANCE. He sent me a test and a contract to be signed to gain my trust. Please never disclose any information whatsoever to this impostor who tried to lure freelancers into revealing their data and trapping them by the translation rate he offered. He kept sending documents to be translated and giving promises with projects at higher rates. He k
... See more
BEWARE THESE SCAMMERS.
A week ago, I was contacted by a scammer pretending to be a supervisor of six translators and claiming to be working for ECHLANCE. He sent me a test and a contract to be signed to gain my trust. Please never disclose any information whatsoever to this impostor who tried to lure freelancers into revealing their data and trapping them by the translation rate he offered. He kept sending documents to be translated and giving promises with projects at higher rates. He kept changing WhatsApp numbers pretending to be in Belorussia while he is settled in Greece.
Collapse

Andrea Rossi (X)
Rama Al Mansour

Hai-Ha Doan
Hai-Ha Doan
Vietnam
Local time: 23:52
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Reporting similar scams Apr 8, 2021

Next time you can report those scams to some governing body. I've just reported Echlance on http://reportfraud.ftc.gov/.
These scammers exploit victims to send emails to "fellow translators" (either those of the scammers or innocent victims) as a way of "contributing to the network." Beware of this. Also, we can all agree that checking a company before agreeing to work is the first step we need to take
... See more
Next time you can report those scams to some governing body. I've just reported Echlance on http://reportfraud.ftc.gov/.
These scammers exploit victims to send emails to "fellow translators" (either those of the scammers or innocent victims) as a way of "contributing to the network." Beware of this. Also, we can all agree that checking a company before agreeing to work is the first step we need to take to avoid this. We don't lose money but our time and effort need to be spent in appropriate places.
Collapse

Andrea Rossi (X)
Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Makes sense Apr 8, 2021

Habib Amri wrote:

BEWARE THESE SCAMMERS.
A week ago, I was contacted by a scammer pretending to be a supervisor of six translators and claiming to be working for ECHLANCE. He sent me a test and a contract to be signed to gain my trust. Please never disclose any information whatsoever to this impostor who tried to lure freelancers into revealing their data and trapping them by the translation rate he offered. He kept sending documents to be translated and giving promises with projects at higher rates. He kept changing WhatsApp numbers pretending to be in Belorussia while he is settled in Greece.

Greece = EU = cops who might actually do their job, international law, extradition, etc.

Belarus = you tell a lawyer or local law enforcement, they'll either laugh right away... or spend 5 minutes on Google then laugh.

It's a "good" country for a fake address no one will bother chasing. Unless they want somebody for political reasons, Belarus police will never ever look into any complaints from foreigners against a local.

[Edited at 2021-04-08 15:16 GMT]

Andrea Rossi (X)
Andrea Rossi (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
same experience Apr 23, 2021

Alynne Vivar wrote:

Hi, this company hired me last week, I was very excited because I am just starting my career as a freelance translator. I signed a contract and did 3 translations for them. They said the payments were weekly and I chose to get paid by Paypal; however, 2 days ago they said I had to open an account on safe-transfers.com in order to get paid. As opening that account isn't free and clearly doesn't seem "safe", I asked them to get paid by Paypal as stated on the contract, but they literally said: "There's no other way". They don't reply to my messages now, I'm sad but I'm still sharing my experience so no more people get scammed by them.

And how I ended up on this company:

I saw a job offer here and applied via email to: [email protected]

Somone replied to me saying: "(...)I am sorry the project I posted was given to another candidate but there is another job vacancy available at a reputable company I do recruit for. Would you mind working online with this company,Freeworks ? Please go through their website below; https://freeworks-co.com"

Then, they used the email: [email protected]

And these are the contacts they gave me: WhatsApp through +30 21 1198 4493 - Skype by searching Freeworks. live:.cid.a49900a317def7ec

I had exaclty the same experience but the name of the agency was different, now it is called ECHLANCE!!!

Muhammad Anzar Sareshwala

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammers Free Works and pay-secured

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »