United States
Local time: 16:42
German to English
+ ...
Back to Japanese May 15, 2020

Ploonkie wrote:

Péter Wolf wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
... and go in alphabetical order of languages. It is recycled every year!

If they do so, they are finishing H now, because I got the same for Hungarian today. Icelandic translators, get ready!

On May 4th, I received the same scam message (English>Japanese). I assume next must be Korean translators.

[Edited at 2020-05-05 01:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-05 01:37 GMT]

Ooh, they've broken their pattern! They've gone back to Japanese for me. I only translate JA>EN, so I got in touch with a native-Japanese-speaking proofreader. I am very embarrassed that the proofreader found this first!

Editing to add this round's name: Anne Rozzell, [email protected]

[Edited at 2020-05-15 11:23 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Yulia Karpova
Yulia Karpova
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Amy R Napels: PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 EN>RU request May 18, 2020

Dear colleagues,

Yes, i fell for this scam too. (And, yep, same document, 44 pages and the rest)

On May 7th I received this email:

Irina Banks
Irina Banks
United States
Local time: 14:42
English to Russian
+ ...
PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 May 24, 2020

I was contacted by Thomas Wellington
2373 Centennial Farm Road
Charlotte, NC 28202
(704) 323-5649 with a request to translate the same some 11,600 words into RU. Looks like this scam is still alive. I wonder how well our data are protected by prox.com?

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
it is not about proz or data May 24, 2020

Irina Banks wrote:

Charlotte, NC 28202
(704) 323-5649 with a request to translate the same some 11,600 words into RU. Looks like this scam is still alive. I wonder how well our data are protected by prox.com?

I received at least 10-15 such offers in the last 5-6 years. The scammers get the names and contact info from everywhere (ATA, Linkdin, Proz, Trans Cafe etc). The 43/44 pages, 11,600 words is a very old scam that has its peaks every year.

I have on my profile all the pertinent info everywhere - ATA, Facebook, Linkedin, Proz, etc and never fell for a scam. Just stay informed.

Stay safe,
lee

[Edited at 2020-05-24 21:33 GMT]

Katarzyna Slowikova

Emmelie Kopp
Emmelie Kopp
United States
Local time: 15:42
German to English
+ ...
Thank you for posting the scam May 25, 2020

I got an email yesterday as well from a Linda Harris (lindaharris1111@protronmail) to translate this exact paper into German. Whew! Thanks for the warning guys!

Liviu-Lee Roth

Justine Hebert
Justine Hebert
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Same scam, different name, Thomas Wellington ([email protected]) May 28, 2020

Thank you guys so much for posting these scam alerts! Today I was approached by a Thomas Wellington ([email protected]) about this PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 project. I normally don't work with individual clients so I tried to verify the information he sent me. He sent me the document so I was able to find your alerts here. So thankful for your warnings!

I just sent an email to let him know that I have verified that his project is a scam and will report h
... See more
Thank you guys so much for posting these scam alerts! Today I was approached by a Thomas Wellington ([email protected]) about this PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 project. I normally don't work with individual clients so I tried to verify the information he sent me. He sent me the document so I was able to find your alerts here. So thankful for your warnings!

I just sent an email to let him know that I have verified that his project is a scam and will report him on Proz.com as well as other scam alerts. He then quickly responded, "You are very stupid." I hope he understands how stupid he is trying to throw his life away.

For your reference, below is the email he sent me yesterday and today:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Thomas Wellington
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 198.134.108.77

-----------

Hello, I am looking for someone to translate my seminar
project from English to Chinese and I would like to know if
you are available to get
it translated for me asap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 2:37 PM Thomas Wellington wrote:

Thank you for the response and I hope this email finds you well? I will like to know how much it will cost me to get a little under 11,600 words translated. The document is attached to this email. Please, let me know the total cost for the document so we can start from there and the deadline for this document is the 21st of June 2020. My method of payment will be a cashier check or bank certified check. please, let me know if this is okay with you.
Regards,
Thomas Wellington
Collapse

Sarah Xing
Sarah Xing
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same Situation May 31, 2020

I felt so bad that I did not check this forum out earlier. Yes, earlier I received this email and I have lost a great amount of money after I returned the money of 2nd phase to her.

Be careful everyone!

Saul Ortiz
Saul Ortiz
United States
Local time: 13:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
I also got this email from "Linda"! Unfortunately I gave them the benefit of the doubt... May 31, 2020

Emmelie Kopp wrote:

I got an email yesterday as well from a Linda Harris (lindaharris1111@protronmail) to translate this exact paper into German. Whew! Thanks for the warning guys!

I got a similar email from the same name a couple days ago but for spanish. Unfortunately me being a beginner in doing freelance translation I gave them the benefit of the doubt and proceeded to give them my name, address and phone number after they gave me some of their "information": Linda Harris ,4101 COLONIAL RD PIKESVILLE MD 21208-6041.
I told them I would do the translation, they agreed to the price and said they would send a check. They even sent two separate emails confirming that the check was sent and confirming the price. This is what made it seem convincing to me. I still haven't received notice from the bank but I'll have to be on the lookout. It sucks that I found out about this so late, but thankfully still found this in time. New lesson learned.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 20:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same scam just received Jun 9, 2020

I got exactly the same email from someone called Beth Morgan. Email address [email protected]. I responded with asking her about the job and also asked her to send me some details about herself. I received the document you are referring to today but no details about the sender. I was wondering whether it was a scam. Thanks for flagging this up.

Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 20:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
Scam Jun 9, 2020

Afterthought: Personally, I always ask for details of the sender and find it iffy when they do not include them straight away. If they don't give them, you cannot do any research, so I would stay well clear.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:42
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't help the scammers! Jun 10, 2020

Justine Hebert wrote:

I just sent an email to let him know that I have verified that his project is a scam and will report him on Proz.com as well as other scam alerts. He then quickly responded, "You are very stupid."

This surely wasn't a smart move. All you may have achieved is that he changes his name and email address to something that's not published anywhere yet.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Liviu-Lee Roth

Santiago García-Castañón, Ph.D.
Santiago García-Castañón, Ph.D.
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
The oldest trick in the books... Jun 11, 2020

This is an old scam and it puzzles me that there may be some still falling for it.
I get quite a few of these, usually 4-5 per year. This is how I handle these scammers. I play "cat and mouse" with them, I give them a quote and request 50% upfront (cashier's check only) with the balance due upon completion of the project. They send me a check (a bad one, of course) for a much larger amount. I point out their error and request a check in the correct amount. They insist I cash the check, wh
... See more
This is an old scam and it puzzles me that there may be some still falling for it.
I get quite a few of these, usually 4-5 per year. This is how I handle these scammers. I play "cat and mouse" with them, I give them a quote and request 50% upfront (cashier's check only) with the balance due upon completion of the project. They send me a check (a bad one, of course) for a much larger amount. I point out their error and request a check in the correct amount. They insist I cash the check, which I do NOT do. At this time, I tell them I have known all along it was a scam and they never contact me back (until a few months later with a new request). I make them spend a few $$$ on overnight shipping, which is great for the US Postal Service, and I have a nice collection of these poorly forged checks, which I keep as souvenirs.
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Fake checks, Jun 12, 2020

Santiago García-Castañón wrote:

I make them spend a few $$$ on overnight shipping, which is great for the US Postal Service, and I have a nice collection of these poorly forged checks, which I keep as souvenirs.

Let's get our collections together and open an online "museum of fake checks" and charge $2.00 for anybody who wants to visit it!!!!

Katarzyna is right! Responding to their e-mails is worthless and counterproductive, unless you know what you are doing and you want to play cat-and-mouse with the UNKNOWN scammers.

Today I interpreted for the interview of a scammer arrested by the US law enforcement. At one point during the interview, the US agent asked why did he choose a certain name for a jabber account. The crook's answer: "That day (when I applied for the jabber account) I rented an apartment for my girlfriend and the landlord's name came first to my mind" !!! Enough said. It still puzzles me the "crusader" approach of some of the victims, believing that they can shame the unknown crooks.
I am getting tired explaining the mechanism of these scams and I am really grateful to my colleagues who took over.

Stay safe,
lee

IrinaN

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I will say it one more time Jun 12, 2020

Should you overpay someone 2-3 thousand dollars, even someone you know, wouldn't you rush to the bank to stop the payment, leaving skid marks and burning your soles?!?!?!?

No, of course not. You'll ask a stranger to send the difference to another stranger, with all three parties being located in the different parts of the globe, and sleep tight? How can you explain the refund directed to the unknown third party to your accountant or tax authorities?

I guess those numbe
... See more
Should you overpay someone 2-3 thousand dollars, even someone you know, wouldn't you rush to the bank to stop the payment, leaving skid marks and burning your soles?!?!?!?

No, of course not. You'll ask a stranger to send the difference to another stranger, with all three parties being located in the different parts of the globe, and sleep tight? How can you explain the refund directed to the unknown third party to your accountant or tax authorities?

I guess those numbers on the checks are irresistible and mesmerizing... You look an the check and can't catch your breath... and can't part with the remaining amount, right? Still hope for a miracle, still believe in Santa?
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

TaifRady
TaifRady
United States
English to Arabic
Hi guys, Jun 16, 2020

Irina Banks wrote:

Charlotte, NC 28202

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »