Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Barbara Elkedwani
Barbara Elkedwani
United States
Local time: 05:02
English to Arabic
+ ...
I wish I read this before all the hassle that I went through for a whole week Mar 13, 2020

A person named Mata sent me the same thing, and then he told me that I will translate for phase 1 and 2 and sent me a check, I deposited teh check and it went through and it showed on my bank account for 2 days
then he told me that they are delaying phase 2 and wants his money back. Thank God by that time that check that he sent was put on hold and the money went back to whoever. He kept asking to sent him by Zelle or Cash app, when I told him I can send the money back by cashier's check,
... See more
A person named Mata sent me the same thing, and then he told me that I will translate for phase 1 and 2 and sent me a check, I deposited teh check and it went through and it showed on my bank account for 2 days
then he told me that they are delaying phase 2 and wants his money back. Thank God by that time that check that he sent was put on hold and the money went back to whoever. He kept asking to sent him by Zelle or Cash app, when I told him I can send the money back by cashier's check, he replied that his sponser wants it in cash
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Dixie Eva Kilus
Dixie Eva Kilus
Malaysia
Local time: 19:02
Russian to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Got the same from [email protected] Mar 17, 2020

This person found my information from ATA website and requested for me to translate 11,638 words (44 Pages) from English to Chinese on Public Organisation Procedures Phase 1. However it sounds suspicious when this person called James ([email protected]) insisted on proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment even though I stated that only escrow payment is accepted. Yup, this is a scam and I am glad to have dodged this... See more
This person found my information from ATA website and requested for me to translate 11,638 words (44 Pages) from English to Chinese on Public Organisation Procedures Phase 1. However it sounds suspicious when this person called James ([email protected]) insisted on proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment even though I stated that only escrow payment is accepted. Yup, this is a scam and I am glad to have dodged thisCollapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Bang Nguyen
Bang Nguyen
United States
Local time: 06:02
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
It is a scam Mar 17, 2020

First I was contacted by a person "Chen Thuy"

"Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content
document ,I need this document translated into Vietnamese.
I would like to know
if you are interested to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you can via email
([email protected]). Thank you."

after back and forth I got this email this morning

"I am so sorry for the delay, there is death in the family o
... See more
First I was contacted by a person "Chen Thuy"

"Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content
document ,I need this document translated into Vietnamese.
I would like to know
if you are interested to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you can via email
([email protected]). Thank you."

after back and forth I got this email this morning

"I am so sorry for the delay, there is death in the family of my sponsor so i have little delay. I hope the project is in progress? But I am happy to inform you that your payment has been mailed out to you by my sponsor and will be delivered to you today. Also, we discussed about considering you for the next phase of this project, but I need to be sure the first phase will be well translated. The additional fee for the next phase of the project was added. We've calculated the next phase with your rate, so the first phase and the next document will cost us $3,250 and that is the amount on the check. We don't have much time now and here is the information...."

and also I got a fedex package with the check inside ($3,250), more than the amount for the translation. I am surprised that I gave my information just last night 03/16 and I got the mail package the next day. The scammer(s) must live close by.

Information of that scammer that she left in her email: phone# 682.207.4076 and the address: 4612 County Rd 616 #3

Alvarado, TX 76009, USA

(682) 207-4076

Information in the note attached in the mail package: "..You are required to send an email or text message as soon as you receive this check payment in order to authorize you to deposit this check. Otherwise do not take it to the bank as it will not be honored.
Send a text message to : 614.559.8431
Email: [email protected]"

Is there any chance that the police can catch them?
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 07:02
Romanian to English
+ ...
slim chance Mar 17, 2020

Bang Nguyen wrote:

Is there any chance that the police can catch them?

As I mentioned a zillion of times already, the check is fake, it is the overpayment scam, the narrative of the scam was bought on the dark web. The scammer(s) could be from anywhere in the world. They might ask you to buy gift cards or send the return money by MoneyGram. Usually, they recruit „arrows” or „money mules” to cash the money, with the help of fake and fraudulent IDs.

Stay safe
lee

Kevin Fulton

Robyn McCutcheon
Robyn McCutcheon
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Обманщики / Frauds Apr 30, 2020

Yesterday I got a request to translate the same "Public Organization Procedures" document from English to Russian. The e-mail address [email protected] aroused my suspicion. Glad I checked around before jumping in. I wonder how many languages this person (group, whatever) has tried for?

Regards to all,
Robyn Mc

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
usually, they take the names from the ATA list May 1, 2020

Robyn McCutcheon wrote:

Yesterday I got a request to translate the same "Public Organization Procedures" document from English to Russian. The e-mail address [email protected] aroused my suspicion. Glad I checked around before jumping in. I wonder how many languages this person (group, whatever) has tried for?

Regards to all,
Robyn Mc

... and go in alphabetical order of languages. It is recycled every year!

Stay safe
lee

Péter Wolf
Péter Wolf  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 12:02
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If they do so, they are finishing H now May 2, 2020

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

If they do so, they are finishing H now, because I got the same for Hungarian today. Icelandic translators, get ready!

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yuka Rice

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
yes, May 2, 2020

Péter Wolf wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

If they do so, they are finishing H now, because I got the same for Hungarian today. Icelandic translators, get ready!

For the other scam (11,000 words), I got the first message for Moldovan and a couple days later the same thing for Romanian. So boooring. No imagination!

Stay safe,
lee

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:02
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I also received it today May 2, 2020

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Scott Miller [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 192.200.158.194

-----------

Hello, hope you're fine today! I have a new translation
task from English to portuguese let me know if you can help
with this task, waiting to hear from you soon. Kindly get
... See more

Author: Scott Miller [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 192.200.158.194

-----------

Hello, hope you're fine today! I have a new translation
task from English to portuguese let me know if you can help
with this task, waiting to hear from you soon. Kindly get to
me via email ([email protected])

Thank you,
Scott

I replied and then I got the same second email:

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this
project. However, I will require your service to translate the
attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm
your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation?
The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 15th/May/2020.
Finally, I'm proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the
payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I
look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards,
Scott
If they are proceeding in alphabetical order, mine is Portuguese, so they are progressing quickly.
Collapse

Luigi Giacomo Trani
Luigi Giacomo Trani
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 from English into Italian May 4, 2020

Dear Colleagues Translators,
I hope this message finds you well.
In reference to subject, like many of you I have also received on Friday, 1st May 2020 the same translation request. The only difference is related to SL and TL.
Word attachment file is made of 11,668 words.

Out of curiosity I am adding the email thread. Please note that message was sent by someone not logged into the platform.

After entering the file name into BING, it immediately displa
... See more
Dear Colleagues Translators,
I hope this message finds you well.
In reference to subject, like many of you I have also received on Friday, 1st May 2020 the same translation request. The only difference is related to SL and TL.
Word attachment file is made of 11,668 words.

Out of curiosity I am adding the email thread. Please note that message was sent by someone not logged into the platform.

After entering the file name into BING, it immediately displayed the spam, although I got suspicious by:

1) email address (no-one would use personal email, especially when requests comes from organization.
2) tone of email text (not formal)

Date: Fri, May 1, 2020, 11:15
Subject: [ProZ.com mail] Service
To:

Author: Maria
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 151.80.100.147

-----------

Hi there,Are you available to translated English document to
Italian ? Reply to ( [email protected] )
Regards,Maria

Please be watchful and stay safe.

Regards.
Collapse

Yuka Rice
Yuka Rice
United States
English to Japanese
May 5, 2020

Péter Wolf wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

On May 4th, I received the same scam message (English>Japanese). I assume next must be Korean translators.

[Edited at 2020-05-05 01:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-05 01:37 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

Got the same offer from Ryan Smith same text and replies May 6, 2020

I got the SMAE offer to translate the text form English to Spanish on May 6th 2020.

[email protected]

“ Hello,I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translator into Spanish. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

Thank you.
Best regards
... See more
I got the SMAE offer to translate the text form English to Spanish on May 6th 2020.

[email protected]

“ Hello,I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translator into Spanish. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

Thank you.
Best regards.
Ray Smith”

I replied that I was available and needed further information about the requirements.

“ Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from now .Finally, I'm proposing a check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards
Ray Smith”

Which is basically word by word the same reply others have gotten, but I replied with my rates and told him that I accepted only PayPal and that I needed him to pay half first and then the other half... he haven’t replied yet.

The beginning of the text to be translated is (it is around 40 pages long):

“ PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1

What do organizations use conflict management for?
For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.
Conflict management is the process of planning to avoid conflict where possible and organizing to resolve conflict where it does happen, as rapidly and smoothly as possible.
Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management"”
Collapse

Yulesk
Yulesk
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I got hit, too! May 8, 2020

This is fascinating! I got this email through ProZ from Amy Naples, with an offer to translate the same text on Conflict Resolution from English into Russian. I bought it right up to the part where they asked to send them my name, physical address, and cell phone number. Then my paranoia kicked in. I searched for the address they provided, which turned out to be non-existent, so did the person (WhitePages come in handy), and the English seemed a little off for someone by the name of Amy Naples. ... See more
This is fascinating! I got this email through ProZ from Amy Naples, with an offer to translate the same text on Conflict Resolution from English into Russian. I bought it right up to the part where they asked to send them my name, physical address, and cell phone number. Then my paranoia kicked in. I searched for the address they provided, which turned out to be non-existent, so did the person (WhitePages come in handy), and the English seemed a little off for someone by the name of Amy Naples. I know, I know, it is a stereotype, we can discuss it later, if you will. Then I went to Google and found references to scams played on translators, describing a similar situation. Today, I found this chain!

Thank you all for the discussion! This was an interesting experience. Hopefully, other gigs will be on the level.
Collapse

Juliette2309
Juliette2309
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
The same May 12, 2020

Last week Amy R Naples (: phone +1 704 323 5649) asked to translate PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 from English to Russian.

The same scenario.

Sent a check for the phase 1 and 2, and asked to send a half of the sum back.
She said she was based in SC. The check was from the Bank of IOWA, the address on the mail was from California, when I checked USPS tracking number that was provided, the mail was sent from MD.
I called my bank first. The
... See more
Last week Amy R Naples (: phone +1 704 323 5649) asked to translate PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1 from English to Russian.

The same scenario.

Sent a check for the phase 1 and 2, and asked to send a half of the sum back.
She said she was based in SC. The check was from the Bank of IOWA, the address on the mail was from California, when I checked USPS tracking number that was provided, the mail was sent from MD.
I called my bank first. The check needs about 3 months to get cleared not 3 days. I didn't send anything to her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/your-money/fake-check-scam.amp.html
Collapse

Jaime Russell
Jaime Russell  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adding to the scam thread to help everyone out May 13, 2020

So a few days ago I received an email from Sandra Hendrix ([email protected]) asking for Spanish into English, document on Conflict Resolution for an upcoming seminar.
That was the first thing that seemed odd, seminar during COVID-19???
But I also know a LOT of things are going virtual nowadays, so gave it the benefit of the doubt.
Bit of back and forth regarding timeline. NO OBJECTION to my proposed rate at all.
I'm used to new potential clients (direct and agenc
... See more
So a few days ago I received an email from Sandra Hendrix ([email protected]) asking for Spanish into English, document on Conflict Resolution for an upcoming seminar.
That was the first thing that seemed odd, seminar during COVID-19???
But I also know a LOT of things are going virtual nowadays, so gave it the benefit of the doubt.
Bit of back and forth regarding timeline. NO OBJECTION to my proposed rate at all.
I'm used to new potential clients (direct and agencies) ALWAYS trying to fight you on the rate, so yet another red flag, ha ha ha!!!
Received a UPS envelope today, again WAY over the amount we agreed upon, citing advance payment for phase 2 of the project. UPS return address was Zumiez (clothing store) in St. George UT. Check was "from" Classic Upholstery in Mobile, AL. Not one fancy watermark, hologram sticker, anything.
So off to Proz I went!!!
Then yesterday evening I received another email from Daniel Schutt ([email protected]), with a lot of the same characteristics...

I am going to let ATA know of this, their platform is too open for scammers to directly contact freelancers. They need to be able to lock it down a bit better, someway.

I have gotten legitimate work through there, so who knows...

Someone else also posted that they had their bank account frozen for 2 weeks for depositing a fraudulent check. That was a very good detail to add in helping everyone. You can still get burned, albeit in a different way.

THANKS PROZ COMMUNITY.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Abraham Abukar
Suzan Gendy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »