Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:41
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
How about that Nov 10, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

I enjoyed the video and the song. Needless to say I always give a loud laugh when I read your comments.
Thank you Chris!

Dear PLF Persio,
I think I can't answer your doubt about the Portuguese joke in the other thread, so I will use this one.
"Mean it" has exactly the same pronunciation of a very naughty word in European Portuguese, which is "minete".
The answer is:
https://www.infopedia.pt/dicionarios/portugues-ingles/minete
The "broche" thing, you can also find it here:
https://www.infopedia.pt/dicionarios/portugues-ingles/broche
An Oporto's boyfriend? Nice! I hope he was a good boyfriend, and mainly, a good person to you!

No way, would you Adam and Eve it: minete has the same meaning in Polish (mineta), that's Indo-European languages for you.

He was a diamond of a young man, Sandra, lovely and kind. If all your fellow countrymen in Portugal are like that, you're very lucky indeed. And what a great country!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 18:41
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's a part of our language and history Nov 10, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Ladies, ladies, this is the kind of titillating raunchiness that gets threads closed. Oh, I'm blushing, I know I am, I am, aren't I?

[Edited at 2020-11-10 17:56 GMT]

Now, you're making me blush (I can't find my blushing smiley!)
I doubt that Proz staff could guess this one, if I didn't explain it here, even a Brazilian would have problems in understanding it probably.
But if it's offensive, and to protect Tom's thread, I can delete it. No problem with that.
I wouldn't agree with that decision, but this is a forum about languages, isn't it?
Slangs are part of our language and history.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The Portuguese men Nov 10, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

He was a diamond of a young man, Sandra, lovely and kind. If all your fellow countrymen in Portugal are like that, you're very lucky indeed. And what a great country!

I am very happy to know that, PLF Persio
Thank for your words about Portugal!

Have some fun with the video below

In fact, Portuguese men can be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6Ws9uM6Oo

PS: What a coincidence! I mean the Polish word

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ironing Nov 10, 2020

I've just realised I've been wrong about something for years. I thought it was men who did all the ironing! What a swizz. Well, that's going to change right now.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, don't do that Nov 10, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I've just realised I've been wrong about something for years. I thought it was men who did all the ironing! What a swizz. Well, that's going to change right now.

Please, do not do that to your wife, please! You're not Portuguese
Of course this video is an exaggeration in some parts, and it's only a funny picture of "Luso" men!
But I hope no Portuguese male translator sees this.

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
You're right Nov 11, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Ladies, ladies, this is the kind of titillating raunchiness that gets threads closed. Oh, I'm blushing, I know I am, I am, aren't I?

[Edited at 2020-11-10 17:56 GMT]

Sandra and I have just been moderated in the Bilingual Jokes thread. Maybe we should limit our chats to weapons.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sadly, yes ... Nov 11, 2020

... I was right. Actually, as you know, I was joking. But I went to bed thinking, Hmm, it might not be such a joke. And I suppose I can't mention the "Number of times you have posted so far in this thread" I see above here, either. I'll give you a clue. It's a number between 68 and 70. Yes, I'm afraid to say that number, lest it be misinterpreted.

I remember a film, a long, long, long time ago, which my brother and I were watching, both stretched out on the carpet, chin in hand, as
... See more
... I was right. Actually, as you know, I was joking. But I went to bed thinking, Hmm, it might not be such a joke. And I suppose I can't mention the "Number of times you have posted so far in this thread" I see above here, either. I'll give you a clue. It's a number between 68 and 70. Yes, I'm afraid to say that number, lest it be misinterpreted.

I remember a film, a long, long, long time ago, which my brother and I were watching, both stretched out on the carpet, chin in hand, as you do when you're in your early teens. It was a British film, about some working-class family with a problem kid, but one of those problem kids with a heart of gold. There was a scene where the mother and her sister were sitting there, and the mother bawls the kid out for, like, (sorry, Tom), nothing at all, running his little model cars up and down the table or something, and then she says to her sister, "'E's always at it, never gives me a moment's peace," and the aunt (who, let it be said in passing, because let's consider all the criteria, doesn't have to put up with the brat day in, day out ...), says (and I even remember the exact line), "Yeah. Be rotten if 'e enjoyed 'imself, wouldn't it?" Now, being almost two years older, my brother had a firmer grip on social injustice and what-have-you, plus he was at that kind of age when you realise your parents aren't God after all, and I can remember he laughed his head off at that one.

So what's wrong with laughing? On a "Completely frivolous thread" thread? They might as well remove my post too (especially since now it's been downgraded and has no blue ribbon, because I haven't paid my dues). Whom can they possibly have offended? Seriously? I know I don't have much of a reputation for seriousness here, but I'm deadly and seriously serious about non-seriousness, given the times in which we live.

Come on!!
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
They should grant you ... Nov 11, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I know I don't have much of a reputation for seriousness here, but I'm deadly and seriously serious about non-seriousness, given the times in which we live.

Come on!!

a year´s membership for free for all your contributions, making proz a bit less deadly serious than other threads are. Where else could you read these entertaining samples of best and true humorous English here at proz?

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Jocelyne Cuenin

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Site rules Nov 11, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Where else could you read these entertaining samples of best and true humorous English here at proz?

I dunno, the site rules and FAQs are quite entertaining after a beer or two.

But it seems clear to me that the reason PLF and EV were zapped is that once again women are getting special treatment in this industry. I demand equal rights for Mervyn.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sadek...? Nov 11, 2020

Chris S wrote:

But it seems clear to me that the reason PLF and EV were zapped is that once again women are getting special treatment in this industry. I demand equal rights for Mervyn.

... we need your sunglasses!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
don't know about that Nov 11, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Chris S wrote:

... we need your sunglasses!

Apparently, his wife Christine is predisposed to perform that sort of "Portuguese" shenanigans.

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Nov 11, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:
Apparently, his wife Christine is predisposed to perform that sort of "Portuguese" shenanigans.

I think “going Portuguese” could catch on. Like ”going Dutch”, only a different kind of sharing.

I guess this is how cockney rhyming slang started.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Shhhhhhhhhhenanigans ... Nov 11, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

... could be the hissing sound, when the air streams out of Christine, followed by a squeaky folding action somewhere ♫ on the banks of the river Nile ♫*

*credits to Madness

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-11 09:50 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
ROFL Nov 11, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... could be the hissing sound, when the air streams out of Christine, followed by a squeaky folding action somewhere on the banks of the river Nile.

Eww, just spaffed tea all over the monitor.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Might be better ... Nov 11, 2020

... even though I know I started all this whingeing after PLF's lead, to get back to frivolity again, the kind of relatively harmless frivolity that's not going to send this thread the same way as the Diversity thread and the Cat thread.

Meanwhile, some bitter-sweet news for Ace, by the way, one of those "dogs waiting to be loved" in Battersea. I heard through the grapevine he's been taken in by a couple of skinheads cooking meth in a Clapham Junction squat. They saw him online, and
... See more
... even though I know I started all this whingeing after PLF's lead, to get back to frivolity again, the kind of relatively harmless frivolity that's not going to send this thread the same way as the Diversity thread and the Cat thread.

Meanwhile, some bitter-sweet news for Ace, by the way, one of those "dogs waiting to be loved" in Battersea. I heard through the grapevine he's been taken in by a couple of skinheads cooking meth in a Clapham Junction squat. They saw him online, and thought he'd be ideal for guard duty. Not the best of all possible dog worlds, but nevertheless a chance for Ace. The chance to tear them both to pieces and scarper at the first opportunity to become a Dog of Fortune, living on his wits, his claws and his fangs.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »