Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:46
German to English
+ ...
Dec 19, 2011

The full message is: Failed to save target content. Error occured whilst converting the ttx to a native file. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

This occurs practically every single time I try and regenerate a INX file from a TTX. I had the problem with Studio 2009 and had really hoped that with 2011 this would be a thing of the past.

There seems to be nothing wrong with the TTX file, as in most cases I can save the day by generating the INX file
... See more
The full message is: Failed to save target content. Error occured whilst converting the ttx to a native file. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

This occurs practically every single time I try and regenerate a INX file from a TTX. I had the problem with Studio 2009 and had really hoped that with 2011 this would be a thing of the past.

There seems to be nothing wrong with the TTX file, as in most cases I can save the day by generating the INX file using TagEditor. But this is not what I paid large amounts of money for.

Does anybody have a solution? I work regularly with TTX files of large INX documents and often spend as much time trying to generate the output as working on the content.

I would be interested to here from SDL on this issue - as it is not new (listening Paul?)
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
On the error Dec 19, 2011

Hi Nick,

It's unfortunate that you have to handle INX with TTX first, because the 2011 filters for INX are really good, and fast. Using TTX is still old Trados filters as you know.

I can only suggest that you send me the TTX so we take a look and see if we can find the problem. I think you've got my details.

Regards

Paul

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure it's the TTX that's at fault Dec 19, 2011

otherwise it wouldn't work in TagEditor would it?

But thanks for the feedback. I'll drop you a line.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
XConvert and using TagEditor Dec 20, 2011

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the file. We took a look this morning and here's my attempt at explaining the problem.

When Studio works with TTX files it uses XConvert, which is a high level API designed withiin Trados for doing things like back converting TTX files. When Trados works with TTX it doesn’t use this API; rather it has its own built in programming for this purpose.

So when you sometimes find that you have an error in Studio that does not appear in Tag
... See more
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the file. We took a look this morning and here's my attempt at explaining the problem.

When Studio works with TTX files it uses XConvert, which is a high level API designed withiin Trados for doing things like back converting TTX files. When Trados works with TTX it doesn’t use this API; rather it has its own built in programming for this purpose.

So when you sometimes find that you have an error in Studio that does not appear in TagEditor it is not because there is a bug in Studio. Rather it is because there is a problem with XConvert that can sometimes arise when different versions of the old Trados filters are used to create the TTX, or if particular settings were used that didn’t extract all the cross references in an INX for example. These are all related to the more fragile Trados filters.

To try and avoid this, and there is no guarantee it will be successful 100% of the time, you can try importing the old TTX into a clean Translation Memory and then retranslate the file using the latest update for Trados 2007. If this still fails to convert through Studio then you may be better off using TagEditor for that particular file as you have proven already.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

claudio42
claudio42  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
SDL Studio 2011 or Trados 2007? Dec 25, 2011

Dear Paul,

I am a bit confused on what you suggest in your previous replay.
Can you restate it in more simple words?

Many thanks in advance.

Claudio

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I'll try Dec 25, 2011

claudio42 wrote:

Dear Paul,

I am a bit confused on what you suggest in your previous replay.
Can you restate it in more simple words?

Many thanks in advance.

Claudio

Dear Claudio,

Basically I am saying that if you find that it is not possible to create the target file (so not the TTX, but rather the file that was used to create in TTX in Trados 2007) directly from Studio then you may well find more success using Trados 2007 for this rather than Studio.

The reason for this is because Studio uses the old XConvert API from Trados in order to do this work; compared to Trados that has built in functionality as part of the application that is unaffected by problems relating to the use of the API.

Is that a little clearer?

Regards

Paul

claudio42
claudio42  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Very kind of you Dec 27, 2011

Dear Paul,

many thanks for your reply. I have now undestood what I can do.

Merry Crristmas!

Claudio42

Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
hello. it is a shame this feature does not work Feb 29, 2012

I have the same error message. Although I was able to save the file as a ttx and open it in tageditor, I am unable to save the target .xlsx file from tageditor (error message: application error).
This was the main feature that convinced me to upgrade from 2009 to 2011. I feel a bit deceived by Trados.

perrotta76
perrotta76  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:46
French to English
+ ...
what about trados 2011? Jan 25, 2013

Hi, I have the same issue, but I do not have trados 2007 do fix this problem with. What should i do?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2011 "error occured whilst converting the ttx to a native file"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »