Target text could not be saved. Prefix 'w14' is not defined.
Thread poster: AZTranslations
AZTranslations
AZTranslations  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:16
German to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2010

I just tried to save the big document I just translated in the original format (docx) and that's the error message I get! When I try to open it in the live preview window, I get the same error!
Also the same error when trying to get target-language version!
Help!!!

AZTranslations
AZTranslations  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.doc instead of .docx Feb 5, 2010

Ok, I just found a solution, but it still shouldn't happen, should it?

I saved the original documents as .doc and used those as source - violá, no more problem with preview or saving!

PMz
PMz
Office 2010 Feb 8, 2010

Anke Wiesinger wrote:

I just tried to save the big document I just translated in the original format (docx) and that's the error message I get! When I try to open it in the live preview window, I get the same error!
Also the same error when trying to get target-language version!
Help!!!

Hi,
this error means that the file was created in Office 2010. In SP2 for Studio 2009 (still beta), filter will report problem when opening file so you can resave before you do all the work.

Nuria Morales
Nuria Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
THANK YOU Jun 10, 2010

The same hapens to me.. and it'works...

Leonarda Coviello
Leonarda Coviello  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:16
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Office 2010 installed already Aug 31, 2011

Hi,

I have got Office 2010 on my computer and SDL Trados 2007 (not studio 2009), while the Word document for which I got the error message in this topic was created in Office 2007.

I also tried to save the document in Word 97-2003 and I get a VBA compatibility problem instead.

So, what next?

TIA to all who can help.

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This can't be true... Dec 1, 2011

Dear all,
I just had the same message. I took the tip of converting to the former .doc format (bad enough -- my customer expects .docx!) so that I can export my work. So an SP2 problem is still occuring after SP3?

But get this: the "new" .doc file has 50 words more for translation than the .docx -- an entire text object was missed by Studio 2009 SP3 !!

Sure, this is caught in quality assurance, but excuse me, this is not right, SDL!!

-Mike-
(w
... See more
Dear all,
I just had the same message. I took the tip of converting to the former .doc format (bad enough -- my customer expects .docx!) so that I can export my work. So an SP2 problem is still occuring after SP3?

But get this: the "new" .doc file has 50 words more for translation than the .docx -- an entire text object was missed by Studio 2009 SP3 !!

Sure, this is caught in quality assurance, but excuse me, this is not right, SDL!!

-Mike-
(who still has not decided whether to update to 2011, but is ever more seriously doubting it...)
Collapse

Alexandra Beisl
Alexandra Beisl  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same Problem in Studio 2011 Jun 5, 2013

Thought I might tell you that I get the same problem in Studio 2011 with Word document created with Office 2007 and it is a doc. rahter than docx from what I can tell! Now that should have surely been sorted by Studio 2011 or am I wrong?

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:16
English to Spanish
Same here but cannot save as Word 2003 Aug 27, 2013

I have the same problem. The prefix of the error is identified as 'mv'. It is a Word 2007, full of objects, text boxes, and the like. It will not let me save the document as Word 2003 or even RTF. It failed the conversion to pdf.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Also happens in Studio 2014! Jun 24, 2014

The occurrece described befell me while trying to export to DOCX from a TTX file processed in Studio. Significantly, the message was in French, whereas my Trados user interface option is English: "Le préfixe 'w14' n'est pas défini". I run an English-language version of Office 2010 on Vista, so it looks like a system problem.

I was required to output a TTX, which worked, but I could not output the DOCX source file format. I ran the TTX file through TagEditor, producing the selfsame
... See more
The occurrece described befell me while trying to export to DOCX from a TTX file processed in Studio. Significantly, the message was in French, whereas my Trados user interface option is English: "Le préfixe 'w14' n'est pas défini". I run an English-language version of Office 2010 on Vista, so it looks like a system problem.

I was required to output a TTX, which worked, but I could not output the DOCX source file format. I ran the TTX file through TagEditor, producing the selfsame error message when attempting to export, and the client's IT people had to salvage my target version from the TTX I delivered. I am plucking the sleeve of my client's IT team to tell me if they know what was wrong. I can get nothing on the Microsoft portal, but I'll keep trying: behind the smart graphics, it looks rather rambling and ramified.

I have found that first converting from DOCX to DOC format, then converting back to DOCX format, has worked in the past on "sticky" DOCX files that return error messages in SDL environments. However, the assignment I have just delivered is the first that yielded the error message above.

Another tip I followed - that has worked but didn't in this instance - is to open Word 2010, then use the "Open" option under the "File" ribbon, search and select the file, then click on the arrow beside "Open" at the foot of the box, and click the "Open and repair" option.

Should I discover anything further, I shall report my findings here.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

Orla Clancy
Orla Clancy  Identity Verified
Ireland
Dutch to English
+ ...
RTF is an option. Jul 20, 2015

I've been getting this a lot too lately, and simply saved a version of the source file in RTF, and then opened it in Trados, saved it and was able to save a target file without any problems. Yay!

prefix w14 not defined - no successful answer found Aug 5, 2016

through SDL synergy
I log on to SDL Trados Workbench 8.3.0.863 - (Build 863) // Part of SDL 2007
and use TagEditor version 8
my documents are Word/Office 2013

after cleanup, bottom (red) bar of the Clean Up Files window reads "(-2147467259): Prefix 'w14' is not defined."

I've tried saving the document in other formats, does not work

I am thinking I need to reinstall SDL

is there a quicker solution ... I am getting behind in my
... See more
through SDL synergy

after cleanup, bottom (red) bar of the Clean Up Files window reads "(-2147467259): Prefix 'w14' is not defined."

is there a quicker solution ... I am getting behind in my work, in a very busy period
Collapse

SDL_Guillaume
SDL_Guillaume
RE: prefix w14 not defined - no successful answer found Aug 8, 2016

DianeMontpetit wrote:

through SDL synergy

is there a quicker solution ... I am getting behind in my work, in a very busy period

Dear Diane,

This is Guillaume from SDL, I have replied to the email you sent me.

So far I have been unable to find this error message in our Knowledge Base.

Please note that SDL Trados 2007 Suite is no longer supported by SDL.

Kind regards,

Guillaume

Please try out our SDL Community portal http://xl8.one
Professionals helping Professionals with all your SDL Studio questions.

Imran Rajani
Imran Rajani  Identity Verified
Pakistan
English to Urdu
+ ...
PMZ trick worked perfectly! May 26, 2017

Thank you so much PMZ. It worked perfectly when I saved them as doc and then resaved the target file as docx for delivery. Superb!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target text could not be saved. Prefix 'w14' is not defined.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »