Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:15
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
My 2 cents Jul 12, 2010

Sonia,

I've had a website (actually, several of them) for ages, and since I managed to score well in search engines, I get a lot of work through them.

You have basically two types of websites:

- Free hosted ones
- Paid ones, with your own domain name.

While a free website hosting might look a bargain, I am skeptic about those, because
a) You do not know in which "neighborhood" you might be - if you share the IP address of your site
... See more
Sonia,

I've had a website (actually, several of them) for ages, and since I managed to score well in search engines, I get a lot of work through them.

You have basically two types of websites:

- Free hosted ones
- Paid ones, with your own domain name.

While a free website hosting might look a bargain, I am skeptic about those, because
a) You do not know in which "neighborhood" you might be - if you share the IP address of your site with a spammer (or worse), you might be blacklisted by search engines

b) A paid hosting (which amounts to some 10€/year for the domain name + 30€/year for the hosting) provides you with full control of your site, including access to statistics, webmail, databases, mailing lists, OWN e-mail addresses, etc.

c) If you do not like your hosting provider, you can move everything (including your e-mail). You might not have this option with a free website

d) Most of the time, you CANNOT have your own domain name in a free website hosting, or you have to place publicity or similar.

Regarding the site itself, as pointed out by others, you have basically the following options:

- Pay a professional to do it for you (expensive)
- Use some free program to create the web page yourself.
- Take a free site template and modify it.
- Some hosting sites provide you with on-line templates that you can modify "on the fly" so as to get what you want. They provide also some html editors for the final touches.
- Use Wordpress (make sure that your hosting supports it to create a site -you don't have to, but you can also create a blog there, also later). There are very nice Wordpress templates around.

My personal recommendation is to host your own website, with your own domain name (Money is not an excuse, it will cost you around 40€/year in total). I recommend this thread, about how important it is to have your own website in the translation industry: http://www.proz.com/topic/88244

Regarding your request for directories, have a look at the following list of translation directories: http://www.freelance-translator.info/directories.php

You may also want to check out other translator sites, many of them have also directories: http://www.freelance-translator.info/jobs.php
Collapse

Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
You can build your website in one day Aug 23, 2017

Hi,

You don't need to pay for it. By watching a couple of relevant videos at Youtube, you can easily build a nice website.

Here is the one I did recently, by watching videos for building a Parallax website : www.turkishtranslator.com

Good luck,

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Updating is essential Aug 23, 2017

Unless you regularly update your website with new material, people will never come back to it. Ask yourself if you really have the time to keep your website constantly renewed and updated.

I used to have a website years ago. It took me months and a lot of hard work to get it just right. Nothing ever came of it.

[Edited at 2017-08-23 13:11 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Websites - is it worth having one?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »