Credentials: welke hebben jullie?
Thread poster: Lara Van der Zee
Lara Van der Zee
Lara Van der Zee  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 31, 2014

Vaak wordt er hier bij job offers gevraagd naar credentials. Welke credentials hebben jullie zoal en van welke heb je gemerkt dat het ook echt nut heeft?

Geldt bijvoorbeeld een diploma van een Nederlandse vertaalopleiding als credential? Lidmaatschap van een Nederlandse vertalersorganisatie? Of is juist het lidmaatschap van een buitenlandse vertalersorganisatie handiger?
Een certificaat van Cambridge of van het Goethe instituut?

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Beperkt Mar 31, 2014

Dezelfde bureaus die om referenties vragen, eisen meestal ook dat je een NDA ondertekent waarin staat dat je niks mag onthullen over hun opdrachten. Met andere woorden: ze maken referenties onmogelijk maar vragen er wel om.
Dat geef ik dus ook altijd maar aan: ik kan geen referenties geven vanwege NDA's. Vrijwel altijd blijkt die eis dan helemaal zo noodzakelijk niet te zijn.
Je kunt natuurlijk klanten die tevreden over je zijn om referenties vragen. Als je die krijgt, des te beter.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Years ago, Mar 31, 2014

when I first began working as a self-employed English editor, I hung up (much as doctors and other professionals do) on the wall the only credentials I had at the time: My birth certificate, my typing certificate from junior high school, and my BA diploma in English Literature and Composition from UCLA... My idea of humor.

I've managed to do quite well for over 25 years, with nothing more than those credentials, making a living as an English editor and for the last 9 years also as
... See more
when I first began working as a self-employed English editor, I hung up (much as doctors and other professionals do) on the wall the only credentials I had at the time: My birth certificate, my typing certificate from junior high school, and my BA diploma in English Literature and Composition from UCLA... My idea of humor.

I've managed to do quite well for over 25 years, with nothing more than those credentials, making a living as an English editor and for the last 9 years also as a translator from Dutch to English.

Turns out what you do seems to be more important than any certificate you may or may not have.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Credentials Mar 31, 2014

All the things you named are credentials. But I agree with Suzan: what you do, the experience, expertise, and specialization you have developed over time are more important than credentials per sé.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Credentials: welke hebben jullie?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »