Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2013

Hallo allemaal,

Ik vraag me af of het zinvol is om FELOnline te kopen aangezien ik al abonnementen heb voor JurLex (+ het Onroerend Goed Lexicon + het Groot Woordenboek Industrie & Techniek). Heeft iemand hier al een abonnement op FELOnline en kan je er wat over zeggen. Idealiter zou dit iemand zijn die ook (de online versie van) JurLex heeft en die iets kan zeggen over de inhouden van alle twee.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just got myself a one-year subscription to 'FELOnline' (Financieel Economisch Lexicon Online) Nov 19, 2013

I will report back on how good it is and how it compares to the Juridisch-Economisch Lexicon and Onroerend Goed Lexicon.

Wordbook.nl

Michael

[Edited at 2013-11-20 22:19 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Terry Ezra
Terry Ezra  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:58
Dutch to English
And? Dec 18, 2014

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
5 stars for FELOnline.nl! Dec 18, 2014

Hi Terry,

Well, I must say that I am very impressed. Although there is some overlap with the JurLex, FELOnline is definitely worth paying for (I have since renewed my subscription). I use it almost every day. Sometimes it will just give you a slightly different take on a term that is also in the JurLex, but very often it will contain things that are nowhere else to be found.

The developer is also very responsive to questions or suggestions re: typos, etc.

M
... See more
Hi Terry,

Well, I must say that I am very impressed. Although there is some overlap with the JurLex, FELOnline is definitely worth paying for (I have since renewed my subscription). I use it almost every day. Sometimes it will just give you a slightly different take on a term that is also in the JurLex, but very often it will contain things that are nowhere else to be found.

The developer is also very responsive to questions or suggestions re: typos, etc.

Michael
Collapse

Laurens Landkroon
Laurens Landkroon  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting database but for everyone? Dec 18, 2014

Sounds great guys, but I take it is only really useful if you do a lot of highly technical translations (financial /stock markets/annual reports, etc.)??
And don't have a large TM to work with...

And we are talking about a translation database, not just a simple useless glossary (that you can easily find elsewhere on the Internet) right??

Best,

Laurens.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It depends. Dec 18, 2014

Laurens Landkroon wrote:

Sounds great guys, but I take it is only really useful if you do a lot of highly technical translations (financial /stock markets/annual reports, etc.)??
And don't have a large TM to work with...

And we are talking about a translation database, not just a simple useless glossary (that you can easily find elsewhere on the Internet) right??

Best,

Laurens.

Hi Laurens,

FELOnline (and JurLex, OGL, GWIT, etc.) are indeed very useful when translating certain kinds of material. No matter how large your TMs and/or TBs, or your memory for that matter, these kinds of dictionaries contain much, much more good stuff. People like to complain though, so you will come across a vocal few here on the site and elsewhere who like to say that these dictionaries are useless, or full of mistakes. Don't believe them, they probably just can't afford a subscription, or are sceptical for other, often personal, reasons.

Incidentally, I called them "dictionaries" above, but they are actually more a cross between old-fashioned dictionaries and bilingual corpora – large collections of linked Dutch and English terms and phrases. This can sometimes make them much more useful than a mere dictionary, or glossary, with single terms and definitions. Having said that, sometimes you want just that: a clear definition.

I suppose it's also a personal thing. Some people like using dictionaries, or having them at their disposal. Others don't. Since this is my full-time job, and has been for many years, I figure they are just part of my necessary tool-kit, like having a good computer and fast internet connection. However, I am also a bit of a collector (I also collect paper-bound dictionaries, thesauruses, etc. etc. etc.), so I tend to get them even if they are not strictly necessary

Speaking of "simple useless glossaries", I also collect those: http://wordbook.nl/

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Look inside ⤵ Dec 18, 2014

Here are a few screenshots to show people what kind of content the various dictionaries contain:

Prisma:
some_text

Onroerend Goed Lexicon (OGL):
some_text

Juridisch-Economisch Lexicon (JurLex)(hoofdtermen):
some_text

Juridisch-Economisch Lexicon (JurLex)(voorbeeldzinnen):
some_text

Nieuw Groot Woordenboek Industrie & Techniek (GWIT):
some_text

FELOnline.nl:
some_text

Michael

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

FELOnline contra JurLex

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »