Thread poster: Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2013

This has long been a simple answer for me that never bothered me until now.

If I'm talking about a Belgian (Flemish) social security number, I'm referring to the INSZ-nummer or the Rijksregisternummer.

If I'm talking about a Dutch social security number, I'm referring to a Burgerservicenummer or (under current law, in the case of persons not recorded in the civil registry) a Sofi-nummer.

But what if I'm talking about an American
... See more
This has long been a simple answer for me that never bothered me until now.

If I'm talking about a Belgian (Flemish) social security number, I'm referring to the INSZ-nummer or the Rijksregisternummer.

If I'm talking about a Dutch social security number, I'm referring to a Burgerservicenummer or (under current law, in the case of persons not recorded in the civil registry) a Sofi-nummer.

But what if I'm talking about an American social security number? A French one? An Italian one?

Invariably all of these countries have their own versions of what a social security number is and who issues it. So... what to do, what to do?

The European Parliament has translated "social security number" using the general term socialezekerheidsnummer.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT%20WQ%20E-2010-3609%200%20DOC%20XML%20V0//NL

The FOD Sociale Zekerheid in Belgium also uses socialezekerheidsnummer.

https://www.socialsecurity.be/web5/um-light/welcome.htm?action=register&login.type=limosa_int&language=nl

It seems to me, the word socialezekerheidsnummer doesn't really sit on the tongue of many Flemings and Dutchmen because it seems "foreign". But isn't that precisely the point? Would this not be the better phrasing when referring to social security numbers that are not issued in Flanders or the Netherlands and not tied to Belgian/Dutch social security systems? Isn't that the nuance exuding from the term?

For example, on a U.S. Birth Certificate translated to Flemish, if authorities in Belgium read the word "Rijksregisternummer", would they not be susceptible to thinking that it is a social security number issued in Belgium and maintained on record with the Federale Overheidsdienst Binnenlandse Zaken rather than one issued in the United States and maintained with the United States Social Security Administration?

In English, we just say [nationality] social security number.

In Dutch, I always see "de [nationaliteit]se versie van een sofinummer/burgerservicenummer/rijksregisternummer"

Somehow I don't think it is elegant to always be writing "de Amerikaanse versie van een XYZ-nummer" on official documents or "Amerikaanse rijksregisternummer" when such a concept doesn't exist.

Do Dutch and Flemish authorities really not grasp the concept of a "socialezekerheidsnummer"?

How do you handle dilemmas like this when referring to a social security number, yet one neither issued in nor valid for your country?

[Edited at 2013-06-05 22:21 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Kleemaier
Robert Kleemaier  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:21
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
Ah, "realia"... Jun 5, 2013

Hi Bryan,

I remember taking a few classes on this issue at the Vertaalacademie in Maastricht a long time ago. It can be a vexating and time-consuming endeavour. I think we've all been in such a situation more often than we would like.

That being said, the solution might be found in the context and/or the purpose of the document. Your example of a US Birth Certificate would (or should) suffice for the target audience -- irrespective of the regional dialect(s) -- don't yo
... See more
Hi Bryan,

I remember taking a few classes on this issue at the Vertaalacademie in Maastricht a long time ago. It can be a vexating and time-consuming endeavour. I think we've all been in such a situation more often than we would like.

That being said, the solution might be found in the context and/or the purpose of the document. Your example of a US Birth Certificate would (or should) suffice for the target audience -- irrespective of the regional dialect(s) -- don't you think? (I know, I know: bureaucrats generally have a bad reputation, but they too were born with a brain...)

I know we strive to be accurate in our use of terminology, but at some point pursuing this to a 'satisfactory' conclusion can end up turning into a very costly affair. The conservative use of insertions between square brackets and/or a footnote is a more than acceptable manner for making explicit certain matters that the target audience should be aware of.

(And FYI: it's known (in English) as a Social Insurance Number in Canada. )

Cheers,
R.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Dilemmas in translating the words: "Social Security Number"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »